LlamaHerder Knife Build Thread

One for an Old Friend

Finished one for a high school friend I haven't seen in 24 years or so. Feeling old thinking about that. Anyway, he saw my stuff on FB and requested a drop point with wood scales, surprise him with species of wood and everything else. He's sending some money and still hasn't seen what he's getting - he wants to keep it a surprise. I like how this turned out, and am excited to see what he thinks.

1084 from Aldo.
Walnut sold as rejects from a company that makes frames because it has too much figure, finished with Tru-Oil and rubbed with steel wool.
An orange-ish vulcanized liner from Boss. Seemed to fit as I also used...
Loveless bolts I got from Mark Behnke in the Christmas exchange.
Got a copy of Paul Long's Basic Pouch Sheaths DVD, it's very informative.

Sittin on Its Pants.jpgIn Sheath.jpgSpine.jpg

The dude who ordered this is a big fella, but that handle is still thicker than I would like. I'll admit I got scared to take off more than I should with the Loveless bolt. I'll use thinner liner material or sink the barrels a little deeper next time. Mark, you turned me on to threaded hardware! Will have to order more soon.

Also spent some time at another friend's house today. I got him into making some knives a few months ago and he wanted to show me his Kydex toys. I gave him a file guide I wasn't using. He hooked me up with the beginning of a Kydex sheath for the baby Kephart I put together a while back and some Chicago screws, a big piece of hair-on cowhide, and a little CRKT keydashi he had laying around and had seen me checking out at a knife show. Was a productive, lazy day!

Loots.jpg

Thanks for looking - hope you're all enjoying the weekend. Comments and suggestions always appreciated!

Herder looks pretty good, things look like they are coming together for you.
Good work things will just keep getting better.

Knife for a Charity Event

Hey all, finished up a knife I agreed to make for a charity raffle. Sorry for the sub-par pics.

1084 steel - this is the last of my 1.5" wide stock. Used Fred's Bubble Jig and it's a great little helper.
Sand Ghost G10 - liking it!
Olive liners - they were in the cut-offs box I ordered from Boss, and are causing the Sand Ghost to look more like Jade Ghost.
Stainless/Brass Loveless bolts - I feel the bolts are so much better than simple pins for this application, and still credit/blame Mark for sending me a set in the Christmas exchange...credit because that's a strong connector, blame when my wife wonders why I'm buying more stuff. :p Need to be more generous with epoxy on the threads.
Plain Jane sheath - Thought it might look cool with that G10, but instead it looks like the top of a shoe. Won't be leaving them plain in the future...

20140410_220743~01.jpg20140410_220721~01.jpg

Thanks for looking... Always open to advice and tips!

Easter Knife

Hope everyone had a great day with family. These were taken on a woodpile at my parent's place.

20140420_091444.jpg20140420_091318.jpg20140420_091239.jpg

Thanks for looking, leave some advice if you feel the urge. :3:

Edit: Forgot to say it's Aldo's 1084, G10 scales, ricasso hand finished to 400 and rubbed with Scotchbrite, bevels finished to 400 on a belt. Blade about 3.5 inches, about 8 inches overall.

Last edited:
Santoku Attempt

Was asked to try a kitchen knife. When asked what style, he said santoku. Wheeee! :lol: So I copied from one I have in the kitchen here, and tweaked it a little.

*Blade is 0.95" 15n20 - could probably go to 0.72" in the future, this was plenty thick. Finished with a couple of Scotchbrite belts.
*My first time playing with stabilized wood. It's nargusta burl, found it cheap on Amazon. Liked it so much I ordered a set of scales from Mark.
*Black G10 liners
*Stainless corby bolts

20140515_183058~01.jpg 20140515_183139~01.jpg 20140515_183110~01.jpg

Please excuse fingerprints in the 2nd picture. Had a slight design modification when sharpening; the handle prevented me sharpening up to the end of the finger guard. It protruded a bit below the line of the sharpened blade, so I ground it to an angle to keep it out of the way. Live and learn, eh?

Kitchen knives are a different beast! But glad to have one under my belt. Have two other friends wanting one...may need to make some smaller knives first to repair my confidence. hehe Advice, comments, etc. are certainly welcome! Thanks for looking.

Back