Liner for Sheaths

Aloha All!
Hope everyone had a great Christmas and are gearing up for their terrific New Year Celebrations.

Here's my question. I watched Paul Long's sheath making video... the first one... and loved the concept of lining the sheath with the darker leather...

What kind of leather is best for this?
What weight of leather should I look for?
Who are some of the best suppliers for this?
How many stitches per inch should I use on the stitching?

O.k. that's more than one question.:biggrin:

Enjoying all the help and resources here... sure is valuable to leather newbie like me....

Thanks for all your time and help...
Hauoli Makahiki Hou! (Happy New Year!)

Have a Prosperous, Safe and Happy New Year!

Craig

Hello Craig!

There's not such a thing as too many questions, or a dumb question. :) The only dumb question is one not asked.

Lining leathers do differ but theres a few good rules:

Pouch sheaths its best to use a flexible leather like deer skin

Standard pancake sheaths you can use a light, say 3 ounce, veggie tanned leather. With the veggie tanned leather you can color match it to the leather of the body of the sheath.

Suppliers? Well, Paul will suggest Wickett and Craig, some will say Weaver, others are plenty happy with Tandy/The Leather Factory. The choice is yours.

The stitching space is purely to your taste. Some like it closer for the inner parts of the sheath and spaced wider for the main welt. I use one spacer.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Sheath Making!!! Its a journey worth making and worth asking all the questions you can about. :D :D :D

Craig, thanks for watching the DVD. The lining in the first DVD is 2 oz. Deer skin and I buy currently from Warden Leathers in Gloversville, New York Phone number 518 332 1016. The second DVD demonstrates a different style sheath and the lining in that one is a 2 oz. split of the same leather as the exterior. I always use the more stretchy Deer skin for pouch style sheaths. The stretch factor is absolutely necessary. Stitches per inch for hand stitching I would say should be a minimum of 6 or more, but as you noted in the DVD I machine stitch.

If I can help you further, please feel free to contact me. Good Luck

Paul

Aloha Paul and thanks for the information....
I still need to watch carefully the second dvd... I'd love to learn the inlay as well...
I'll give them a call on the deerskin... do I need to specify anything special like veg tan etc....?
Thanks again... those dvds are very helpful and inspiring to get off my butt and try it :0)
Have a Safe and Happy New Year!
Craig

The stacks and stacks of books I have on leather craft through the years I dont have one video, looks like I need to make a new years resolution. :biggrin:

More reference materials! Its a good thing! :3:

I'm a total newbie on this... sorta hooked on it now...
But watching these videos with Paul are really helpful to me...
Thanks Paul!

I've also got the Rawhide dvd with John Cohea ... also a goodie!

And way back I got one (VHS that's how far back I got it) I think with Chuck Burrows?.... have to go check...

I've got tons of books but seeing and listening to it being done and being able to rewind is good for an old fart like me :0)

Love this place... Thanks for all the help and the offer to contact and if I need more...

Happy New Year!.... It's gonna be the best one yet!

Back