Lignum Vitae? Heaviest/Strongest wood I've seen

I had a BRKT knife in a pass around with Lignum Vitae scales. I really liked it. It is supposed to be the hardes wood around. A little trivia, Lignum Vitae is actually translated (latin) as the wood of Life...

I recently re-scaled a Nexus Tito with LV (See my Avatar - Edit: Where is my Avatar?? :)), it IS the hardest wood there is - They used to use it for ships bearings. It's also very heavy - Now putting the balance of the knife right back in the hand. Next I'm going to rescale a Spartaco in LV. Frankly, I love it!

Last edited:
Since I'm at it, don't use Cumaru for scales, either. At least, not cross-grained cuts.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Well, there's one I haven't heard of!
Now I'm gonna hafta look it up.cool 1

Can it be stabilized?

I wouldn't be pleased about that either.:mad:

And I wasn't suggesting Ray would use scales/wood that wasn't dry.
As I said, it can be difficult to tell when Lignum is dry.unsure

Just another couple pics of some Argentine Lignum. A block I have that I planed, then sanded and buffed. 2thumbs
Kinda looks like the stuff pictured above.

Last edited:
Here's 2 pics of some "Lignum Vitae" I got from Woodcrafters in Downingtown PA. They still have a few blocks there right now. I didn't think it was that hard to work with, but I am used to working with desert ironwood. I don't think I'll use it often in the future as I like more figured woods.
Thanks,
Bob
http://www.bobroseknives.com

Attachments

• lignum vitae.jpg
    lignum vitae.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 13
  • lignum vitae 10.JPG
    lignum vitae 10.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 12
Back