Lets talk about gut hooks

Man their using you:D Just kidding. They could gut it with a regular knife by the time they key the radio.

Gerber must make a good one, the guy that owns the local guns shop said he tried a gerber the salesman had given him for a test knife. He said it was the best gut hook he every used and actually worked. I asked him if it was any better or faster than just using a drop point and his finger and he admitted no it wasn't.

Come on now.
I have the gerber also and I can unzip a deer in a few seconds.The crew I was with your manlyness was determined on how fast you could get the guts out of a deer.
It is definitely faster then a knife and less chance of puncturing the intestines or other organs. In fact I have never ever one time hit an organ with the gut hook. Yes I know how to put my fingers beside each side of a knife blade and gut one with just about an inch of the tip.

I dont really care for the hook on the tip of a knife blade unless it is done properly but know for sure the gerber is way quicker and easier then using a knife.
There is a market for the guthooks on a knife and guys want them then why not offer a great product they want. I personally have no use for a tanto but if someone else wanted one I would make them one.
The other thread offered great pics of examples of design and functionability.
A gut hook is just another tool like a skinning knife, boning knife, fillet knife, butcher knife etc. You could probably use all of them to gut a deer although the butcher knife would be tricky.:p

Shankmaker,

Good post Buddy !

In my circle Manlyness was judged by the difficulty of the shot and how you performed in the situation.

Miss one and you lost your shirt tail, pride, and dignity all at once, LOL.

Nobody questioned me after a 75 yard offhand head shot with a 12ga. slug :)

I'd been the coward of your crew though. Slow and messy :)

-Josh

If there is nothing faster how much time can it really save since it takes maybe 5 seconds to open up a deer with a drop point laying in my hand. I never remember snagging a gut. So how much time can it save? As far as staying clean, you wont get anything on your hands doing that part as long as the shot was well placed.

I realize there is a market there and I'm really trying to convince myself to make some guthooks because some people ask for them but I'm having a hard time since they have way more potential for being in the way than helping. I've never turned anyone down when they asked me to make them one with a gut hook but everyone that asked changed their mind when I showed them how to hold the knife. I have redone some factory knives with guthooks to make them work right but it's already there so just well make it somewhat usefull.

I'll have to except they have their place on a skinning a Gator because I don't have any experience there. Maybe that's enough reason.

Good discussion2thumbs

Well all I can say is its really personal preference. I can use any knife dont matter but Ide rather have my fingers out of the way when making a long cut. Ive seen several people I hunted with that gut lots of deer every year cut themselves with a knife but never with a gut hook.

I use a gut hook. It keeps you from cutting into the guts if used properly. I am working on a prototype for a whitetail zipper now. Just my opinion.

The so called gut hook, started life as a way to get the pot off of the fire without burning your fingers. Most pots had a wire handle that would lay to one side and get hot as the bottom.
As for gutting animals, so much depends on the angle and width of the hook. Most of the ones I have tried plug up with hair or fat, then you end up poking your finger or spilling guts trying to use it as a normal knife.

I use a 2inch long folder to gut, split ribs ,and crack open the pelvis. VG10 works for me.

I have a great repeat knife customer in KY that also wants a guthook and a big pig sticker. I have some good precision ground 1/4" CPM420V that should do the trick and he won't have to worry about sharpening for a long time.

I flat don't like guthooks on a blade, for the obvious reasons. I plan on making him a seperate guthook, not a combination hunter blade/guthook.

The same client does a lot of squirrel hunting, as well as deer and some gator and to-do-soon hog hunting. I'm thinking he may want the guthook to unzip squirrels and hogs, as well as the other game.

I like the hatchet/guthook idea, real inventive!

Back