Leather as scales ?

CRAIG1952

As I was working on a knife today, I was trying to think ahead on what type of handle I should make :les: I was thinking I have leather I could use for making a scales. I was thinking I could make it the same way as I make mycarta. But would have a hard time soaking the leather unless I used a thin leather such as upholstery leather !:22: Anybody have any info or tried this. Did a google search and only came up with leather washers in handles.

I've thought about this often over the years .
I do a good bit of stacked leather handles and would love to do scales.
I've never gotten a definative answer on stabilizing it, if it can be done I have some honkin thick leather that's perfect for scales. Since Tracy is experimenting....I'll see if he can try it. I don't think an epoxy soaking would do it without vacuum or pressure.

Rudy

I've thought about this often over the years .
I do a good bit of stacked leather handles and would love to do scales.
I've never gotten a definative answer on stabilizing it, if it can be done I have some honkin thick leather that's perfect for scales. Since Tracy is experimenting....I'll see if he can try it. I don't think an epoxy soaking would do it without vacuum or pressure.

Rudy

I was watching the program "How it's Made" . They were showing how they make "Heather Gems" in Scotland. Basically it just like making micarta. I figured I could do the same with anything I wanted to use for scales, as long as it is soft and pliable. I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Back