Latest slipjoint.

blancefitz

This is knife #11 and folder #5. This is the first time I have used any stabilized wood and it is really great stuff to work with. This was some of the dyed maple burl that Burl Source had listed on here the other day. For some reason, I had in my head that this knife should be blue. After warping 2 Damascus blades the other day, I went back to my stash of free L6 gang saw blade just so I could make another knife! My first nail nick cut with an endmill using my custom made "Don Robinson" sine plate. I think it looks a lot better than the ones I did before with a cut off wheel after heat treat. I still don't really know how to finish a knife and get it really clean looking. It is usually 1 step forward and 2 steps back, so I just get it presentable and stop before I mess it up somewhere else! Thanks Phil, Don, Calvin and all of you guys for helping me out.

Blade L6
SS Dovetailed Bolsters
SS liners and pins
OAL 6 3/8"
Closed 3 5/8"
knifedog501.jpgslipjoint5002.jpgslipjoint5003.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys. They are getting better, but I know I have a long way to go. I probably jumped the gun a bit diving right into making slip joints, but I figured if that's what I wanted to make, I should just learn on them. One benefit is it doesn't take much material to make them so if you screw up your just out some time. The downside is, first starting out it can be quite a bit of time.:biggrin:

Back