Large Tactical Sheath

Ausbrooks

KNIFE MAKER
Completed first attempt at basket weave tooling and main challenge was dye didn't take on first app and wondered if others prepping with wood bleach as mentioned or if using better dye..I used Tandy All in One..is there something better and where can get it.

Buff Knife 4.jpgBuff Knife 5.jpgBuff Knife 1.jpg

Awesome job if that is a first atempt at basket weave! I use only fiebrings oil based dye. On vegetable tanned tooling leather 8-10 oz I have never had a problem. Sometimes it has some slight color variation if the leather grain is at an angle but still llooks cool. Only draw back is it willl stain your hide just as well and is semi permenant.

How did you stitch the sheath? Machine or by hand?

I do not use snaps or brads on my sheaths anymore, instead I wet form the leather to match the indiviual knife. Just a personal preference.

Nice job!

Matt

Matt, thanks for the reply and tips. I'm going to have go to oil based dye- I see that Tracy sells Fiebings at Midwest and should have known there was something else to learn, even what type dye to use LOL. The prep tips on previous threads should help too.
I hand stitched this sheath with black thread. It was wet formed and really fits tight. The "concho" is a buffalo nickel I radiused and soldered onto a rivet purely for decoration. I agree pouch style sheaths if fit right are more secure as snaps can come undone and you loose the knife.
Paul

Back