KnifeDogs at Blade...

Wayne, the engineer forgot to blow it til just a split second before he flattened me to the track.

Thank you for the opportunity and having faith I can do the job Boss. Rusty, I have a special shock collar on order to keep you in line.

Great Lakes Waterjet and Midwest Knifemakers Supply have agreed we will go in on a booth adjoining the KnifeDogs booth. We are going to see if we can get a couple others lined up with us and then reserve a block of booths.

According to the information posted by Chuck, a booth at Blade will cost us $1125. Boss and Dave have decided to spring for one booth and my current calculations of pledges say we are at about 80% for our first booth.

Realistically, how many booths do we want to shoot for having? I've never been to Blade, but I'm thinking we need at least four for a good kennel (four makes a square).

Currently we have seven months til Blade. Unlike most projects I work on, I really don't want to procrastinate on this one. Any and all ideas you dogs may have on how we can make this the most fun legally allowed are welcome. Of course, Boss will be the final decision maker.

Ideas that have come up so far:

1. Knife Dogs after hours, maybe we'll call it the "Dog Pound". We can try to find a suitable establishment for commercial supply of adult beverages or make it a B.Y.O.B. event. Either way, I'm a "Safety Nazi" and highly encourage a "D.D." program of some kind. We may be able to look into a group rate at a local hotel to help accomodate this.

2. Special Edition K.D. shirts for Blade. (I'm thinking maybe even a few "Knife Pup" shirts for the Little Dogs).

Dogs that are planning to attend Blade and purchase thier own table or booth, Les Voorhies has expressed interest in sharing either with another maker. If there are more Dogs out there that may want to do this, drop me a line and I can try to compile a list so that you guys/gals can link up to do this and be included in the Kennel.

Please feel free to throw all ideas into the bowl. We are gonna need to raise more $$$ to make this project happen and I would really like to see us get things planned and organized early. Thank you to those who have contributed thus far:

Frstr8
Sean Cochran
John Barker
Stabber
Boss/GLWJ
Bill Coye

John Barker contacted me about sharing a booth, I was going to ask a friend of mine if he want's to go in on the both but I'm thinking I might talk to Les George first because he's a forum owner here and then we would have 3 forum owners in a booth. I'll shoot the PM to Les now while I'm thinking about it.

There is a large gathering area in the attached Waverly hotel called the Pit. There is an adjacent bar and the hotel usually sets up a satellite bar. Most groups just tend to end up there and mill around. Last year there seemed to be another several hundred outside milling around also. Most stay at the Waverly or walk over to the nearby Sheraton. Other than that, Taxi's are right out front.

A special edition shirt would be good and could be sold in advance or at the booth.
I have talked to two other forum owners that are interested in going together on a booth. They have to do some checking/thinking and will let me know.

The booths generally line the perimeter walls but I would bet we could get them to configure us a large island block also.

John Barker contacted me about sharing a booth, I was going to ask a friend of mine if he want's to go in on the both but I'm thinking I might talk to Les George first because he's a forum owner here and then we would have 3 forum owners in a booth. I'll shoot the PM to Les now while I'm thinking about it.

I would be willing to split a table with some one.

:)

BC

I would be willing to split a table with some one.

:)

BC

Aight Bill, I just talked to my friend and he's not even sure he's going, so if you want the slot I'd be happy to have you and I suspect John would be too. We'll have to figure out what we need to do next.

BTW, Les G has a table he likes and want's to keep it, it reminded me that I really like the table I was at the last 2 years, but I think the kennel is going to be cool :)

At this point, we are 'nearly in' for adjoining booths. That makes us as big as the engravers set up and Busse which are the biggest I think....

I've got a couple ideas/suggestions and info for the show

1. This is gonna be AWESOME ! Oh back on topic

2. After the fiasco with the event planners last year it may be a good idea to try to contact them and get a response on the chances of putting together our Kennel (No idea if the booth assignments work the same way that maker tables get assigned)

3. It would be sweet if we could arrange a knife display at one of our booths so folks like myself who'll have 1 or 2 knives will have a shot at getting a little exposure. Offering them for sale may be too much to keep straight moneywise with a buch of different members, but displaying knives with their contact # would be great.

4. We've got amazing talent here so perhaps an OFFICIAL KD collaboration knife to raffle off during the show is in order ? Proceeds could go towards Blade Show 2011 booths, or paying off the BB's :)

5. Last year Me, DCknives, & Mrs.DC stayed here-

Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta-Galleria
2733 Circle 75 Parkway, Atlanta, Georgia, USA 30339
Tel: +1-770-955-1110 Fax: +1-770-955-1154

It is hard to overlook the convenience of staying at the Wavery but the benefits of the Hampton are, $60 a night including a very nice continental breakfast (sandwiches,omlets,sausage,bacon+the usual stuff), plus a free shuttle service to and from the Cobb Galaria Centre that runs till 10:00 PM. We hung out in the Pit till after hours and the cab cost $7 back to the Hampton. Plus they do have smoking rooms for those interested.

I was just thinking if we're gonna unite and be the Lead Dogs of the show we might as well do the same at the Hotel so I thought I post this as a topic of conversation.

6. I've got a nice little ATS-34 paring knife blade tempering right now that I'll finish up and donate to help out the cause.

-Josh

Last edited:
How about a shirt:

Knife dogs road to Atlanta,

Taking no prisoners.

Or knife dog
Taking Atlanta by storm

Just have to come up with the dog to use.

Last edited:
3. It would be sweet if we could arrange a knife display at one of our booths so folks like myself who'll have 1 or 2 knives will have a shot at getting a little exposure. Offering them for sale may be too much to keep straight moneywise with a buch of different members, but displaying knives with their contact # would be great.

This is a great idea. Boss, Murph what do you think?

Sean

This is a great idea. Boss, Murph what do you think?

Sean

We can do that. We'll just need to figure out HOW to do it...

Murph, maybe you can reach out and start negotiating a spot for us with the show people?

We'll need some big banner back drops also.
frstr8 will need to think up banner designs...

I've tried a few times to call Blade to check on arrangements with no luck. I finally found the proper point of contact today and as luck would have it, she's out of the office till the 17th. Hopefully I will have information about the booths to pass on next week.

Murph
I may be able to get the folder ready by next week, Ill keep you updated.
BTW I know this is a day late (Vet's day) Thank you for your service.

Sean

I've tried a few times to call Blade to check on arrangements with no luck. I finally found the proper point of contact today and as luck would have it, she's out of the office till the 17th. Hopefully I will have information about the booths to pass on next week.

I knew you would be the right man for the job...:running dog:

Back