Knife Number 3

JayDee70

Gold Membership
In my recent Would-Like-Some-Input Thread I asked for input on ideas and the how and why for a knife blade I had. Here is the result of suggestions I got. This knife is for me and will be more or less a demo for potential customers to see my work.

Some shots to show it off.:biggrin:
IMG_2220_19_1_Detail.jpg IMG_2226_5_7_Detail.jpg IMG_2229_8_30_Detail.jpg IMG_2235_4_6_Detail.jpg

The other day I posted a semi critique of another forum member's knife. I said that "it maybe the photo but one scale looks thicker then the other" but at least it doesn't look like a dogs hind leg like mine.:5:
IMG_2241_0_2_Detail.jpg

Blade Data:
Jantz Item# JD722 - The overall length is 9 3/8", the blade is 4 3/4" long and 1 1/8" wide, 5/32" thick.

Knife:
The knife with the added pommel is about 9-7/8"

Hardware:
Made from "360 Brass Rectangular Bar, Unpolished (Mill) Finish, H02 Temper, ASTM B16, 5/16" Thickness, 1" Width, 12" Length", found on Amazon.
Two brass pins made from 1/8" brass rod from Lowes.

Antler:
Whitetail Deer, supplied by a recent customer.

Comments and Criticisms welcomed.

Took these shots to show areas I had problems with;

First one shows the front of the guard(looks like I left some stain at the bottom:what!:) How do you folks get in there and finish the front of the guard without shinning(read messing up) the blade. I tried tape and it helped but I still could not get the front finished to my satisfaction.
IMG_2232_1_3_Detail.jpg

Behind the finger guard is almost as bad as the front but at least the blade is out of the way.
IMG_2238_7_9_Detail.jpg

The top of the guard, not sure if the transition from blade to guard to handle is right.??
IMG_2244_3_5_Detail.jpg

My pommel is probably a little oversize but it was the easiest part to finish.
IMG_2250_49_1_Detail.jpg

Your comments and critiques are more then welcome, thanks for looking and commenting.

Last edited:
Looks like it turned out pretty good, as far as finishing the front of the guard, easiest way is to do it before you put it on the blade.

I think you knocked it out of the park for your third handle job. Just as MVPeterson said, tiny things like scratches on the guard are extremely hard to eliminate once it's on the knife. That's the thing about knives with guards- you assemble/disassemble them about a thousand times before you're done, and it's frustrating because often you fix one thing and cause another by being rough during the assembly.

Overall, an outstanding job. You have a great skill in visualizing what you want to do and then executing.

Back