Knife Making and being Disabled

dallas1

I was kinda thinking some people might not venture into knife making if they was disabled. I would like to encourage you not to let being disabled stop you if you rely want to make knives.
I am disabled with a bad back i have bin cut from crack lol to my shoulders. I can walk but do hurt quite a bit bending over and working is out my back just wont let me. I am working on setting my shop up to make knives from scratch right now i am just a knife dresser by that i mean i get my blanks from the big Dog and put handles on them. I know get to the point lol sins bending is out for me and i can't stand long at a time the cure for me is to make my shop so i can do all my work from a rolling office chair.
Build all benches low grinder bench saw bench everything.
This can work for wheel chairs scooters! I hope this encourages some that might be passing up on a great hobby!
Hope you guys don't mind my rambling and poor righting skills.
Big D.

Have a friend who is disabled. He is in a wheel chair and makes beautiful knives. He has even made automatics. He does forge his own damascus.
You are correct you just have to make accomodations to get it done.

I have similar scars on my back and Knife making was what I started as my road to recovery business.
It took over a decade and I now have a full shop & retail cutlery biz and am off of any Govermint help as of this last Sept.

Knife making was the perfect craft to get into, I built my shop in my Apt garage and when I felt good enough I went out and ground and burn up my fingers until I stated getting a clue how to do it! Also the sharpening work that just naturally starts showing up when people know you are a knife maker is a real life saver when you are just getting started and dead broke from years of medical bills and no income!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I dont tell many people what im about to say cuzz I dont want sympathy it just pisses me off. Sorry.8 years ago I was seriously injured in a high speed roll over end over end 2 times ,I saw it coming and tucked my head down as we flipped it drove my head into the back of the front seat as I was a back seat passenger of the 1 ton truck. As the truck flipped driving my spine into the seat then a second time. I suffered lower back trama at l3/4 c 3/4,4/5,5/6,6/7 ive had 3 major neck operations one lower back I just recieved my 5th surgery 3 months ago for a intrathecal pump that is surgecally placed into my abdoman then spiced into my spinal cord to recieve direct medication to fight the pain . In doing the last operation created thus another herniated disc in my lower back at the location where the juntion tube goes into my spinal cord . Over the past 5 weeks I was rushed in for a emergency cat scan and 2 days later a MRI with dye injection thus my results of the disc and complications of the catheder pressing on the nerve I waved off the surgey for now Im in a bad way but I wake up each morning with knife making on my mind . If I feel up to it I do what I can might not be much but something. I constantly adjust with knife making I have a babys high chair with the table part tore off and its just the perfect height for my grinder. I do find carving and stamping much more difficult on the sheaths im making over the past year ive only made 6 knives maybee and am planning on alot more as I did 5 years ago when I started because of being bored and it was something I could do in short bursts . Ive been making some sheaths the past few weeks and gives me a feeling of self worth. I hope you get everything fixed up in your shop for grinding sounds like your almost all the way there. good luck kellyw

I dont tell many people what im about to say cuzz I dont want sympathy it just pisses me off. Sorry.8 years ago I was seriously injured in a high speed roll over end over end 2 times ,I saw it coming and tucked my head down as we flipped it drove my head into the back of the front seat as I was a back seat passenger of the 1 ton truck. As the truck flipped driving my spine into the seat then a second time. I suffered lower back trama at l3/4 c 3/4,4/5,5/6,6/7 ive had 3 major neck operations one lower back I just recieved my 5th surgery 3 months ago for a intrathecal pump that is surgecally placed into my abdoman then spiced into my spinal cord to recieve direct medication to fight the pain . In doing the last operation created thus another herniated disc in my lower back at the location where the juntion tube goes into my spinal cord . Over the past 5 weeks I was rushed in for a emergency cat scan and 2 days later a MRI with dye injection thus my results of the disc and complications of the catheder pressing on the nerve I waved off the surgey for now Im in a bad way but I wake up each morning with knife making on my mind . If I feel up to it I do what I can might not be much but something. I constantly adjust with knife making I have a babys high chair with the table part tore off and its just the perfect height for my grinder. I do find carving and stamping much more difficult on the sheaths im making over the past year ive only made 6 knives maybee and am planning on alot more as I did 5 years ago when I started because of being bored and it was something I could do in short bursts . Ive been making some sheaths the past few weeks and gives me a feeling of self worth. I hope you get everything fixed up in your shop for grinding sounds like your almost all the way there. good luck kellyw
I know how you feel bout the feel sorry crap i hate it too! I am one of these that hates asking for help and most times i come up with a way to do it myself.
I did not set out to get addicted to knife making but it happened and i love it. It is a good way to pass a lot of time and keeps me away from the TV lol.
I hope things work out soon for you to get a little re leaf from the pain so you to can get back to what you enjoy.

Sorry to hear about your dilemma from the implant.
I refused to get one of those implant pain pumps for that very possibility!
Even after my two back surgery's I told them I can still swallow the time released medications so why would I want a implant? I guess the oral meds weren't working for you?

I never wanted any sympathy ether. But being willing to talk about it has made me many new friends with similar situations
and I have gained much knowledge about treatment and help and have been able to help many others as well.

I also feel that my disabilities have shown me how to live life to its fullest and not to take things for granted.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I lost my right leg in a work accident back in '81. The years of hobbling around on one leg have also cost me my left knee which is also now artificial, and tremendous back pain. Although I worked at a desk all of these years doing design work, the fact that I can no longer spend the time out on the production line following my designs through production has cost me my job. I cant find work anywhere because of my limitations. But I love making knives. I work in my garage making knives. I have few tools, but high expectations. Most of the stuff I use to make knives I have built from scratch. I have done the best I can with the resources I have and I will continue to do so for as long as the good lord will let me. I started making knives a couple of years ago and I feel as though my efforts have gotten better with each knife I make.
Back in the 80's I used to hate it when people felt sorry for me. Now I realize its just a natural reaction.
I have pain and mobility issues, but I love to make knives, and that helps me push on.

Eric i have seen a lot of your stuff and being one leg ed has not stop you from putting out some great stuff. I hope when i am two years into this game i am half as good as you!
To be honest i did not realize there was as many of us as there is with health probs on the forum but i got to say all you guys inspire me.

I admire the attitude you guys have displayed. The spirit of “never give up” seams very rare today. I hope you all continue to excel, despite the challenges you face.

I have more scar tissue than skin anymore. I have to walk with forearm crutches and lost the use of my right leg from mid calf down. I have to wear a brace built into my shoe. I just had my sons lower the bench that holds all my grinders. They also lowered the one for my bead blast cabinet. I'm 71 years old and am not ready to just sit around. I'm heading to the shop as soon as I finish this cup of coffee. There sure are a lot of us makers banged up.

I have a whole lot of respect for people who "fight" in the face of a physical challenge . It takes a lot of "strength" to keep fighting pain day in and day out trying to keep a positive attitude. My wife has suffered from a chronic pain syndrome for the last 15/20 years. UN-operable back problems, coupled with heart and a multitude of other problems has kept her in pain...but she tries to make every day positive. I can see the effort she puts forward to do the things a person without problems without thinking...like getting out of a chair.

To all those with challenges--keep up the good work and God bless. You have my respect...Teddy7

Shouldn’t complain, I suffer a stroke and the pain on my right side hurts all the time. I lost the use of my right arm and hand. I use a cane when I walk. Sometime I need my wheelchair. When I look around me, I feel glad that I have my life. So many people suffer a lot more than I. There are a lot of people out there who are disable; my heart goes out for them. Aloha mcreyn.

The thing that bothers me the most is where they wired my breast bone back together after they did the four bypasses. At me age I was told it would never knit back together like a broken bone and sometimes it moves a little. It is an awesome scar though. I can set off a metal detector in airports with the wire.

I have a whole lot of respect for people who "fight" in the face of a physical challenge . It takes a lot of "strength" to keep fighting pain day in and day out trying to keep a positive attitude. My wife has suffered from a chronic pain syndrome for the last 15/20 years. UN-operable back problems, coupled with heart and a multitude of other problems has kept her in pain...but she tries to make every day positive. I can see the effort she puts forward to do the things a person without problems without thinking...like getting out of a chair.

To all those with challenges--keep up the good work and God bless. You have my respect...Teddy7

Goldsmithy,
You are blessed with a unique, strong & beautiful wife!
It must be even more brutal for a lady to endure debilitating pain all the time and not let it get them down.

Us men don't care what we look like for the most and a woman always wants to look her best and shine!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The thing that bothers me the most is where they wired my breast bone back together after they did the four bypasses. At me age I was told it would never knit back together like a broken bone and sometimes it moves a little. It is an awesome scar though. I can set off a metal detector in airports with the wire.

Tom, I had a quadruple bypass done in 2000 when I was 53. The pain has finally left my chest and found a new home in my back. I figure if I wake up in the morning and I'm still in pain I must be alive.

Back