Knife Makers vice and sanding fixture?

theWeatherman

So I have come to the point where I need to purchase a knife makers vice and sanding fixture for it. I would make one but I can't weld.

I was hoping someone knew where I could get something made for me or purchase from a shop something like what Nick Wheeler made for his shop?

standard.jpg

If you have a regular vice already mounted then you just need a piece of angle iron with a leather strip covering it. Use a C clamp with a piece of wood between it and the blade to keep from scratching the knife. I took mine a step further and tapped several bolts in the flat so that when I clamp the blade I can support the blade by tightening the bolt under the leather strip.

I made the vice as well and use it for shaping the handle but still like the angle iron sander form best.

I use somthing similar to Joes, excet I used a 1" angle and drilled 1/4" holes every 1 1/2 " and welded a 1/4" nut. I have a iece of thin (1/8") aluminmum (sp?) that I lay between the blade and the angle iron and fix the blade with a clamp or vise grips. Once mountrd in my vise, the srews from underneath provide suooprt for the the blade where needed.

God Bless
Mike

check out 8th post
http:// knifedogs.com/showthread.php?24764-Shop-Tip-of-the-Day-Add-yours-here
the thread itself is awesome too! :)

seems we are at the same stage tools wise, what i did is i got a T beam (or I beam and split it)
it depends on how advanced and permenant you want to go, for me the best thing is soft screws (like copper) with setting like Nick's, if you cant go that advanced on your own (like me) take it to the closer workshop with measurements and photos OR simplify, for example i just fold papers (which is neither advanced nor permenant and requires non-rusting sanding lubrication)under the tip to decrease the flexing, its not the best bit it does the trick. using C clamps instead of the quick or drill press ones, etc.
if you can drill and tap you pretty much got most of it done, and you can use that in a regular vise until you get a swiveling one

Thanks guys.

My problem has become finding the right materials. I know Nick Wheeler used Schedule 80 pipe. But when I go in to try and find pipe and a wide flange or I-beam, I can't. I went to the junk yards, and I went to the metal distributor in town and the didn't have pipe that would fit "nicely", meaning there was a ton of slop.

It doesn't matter what the schedule pipe is to me, any more.

I just need the vice to be 2" - 2.5" inside diameter. And then go from there. Same for the wide flange.

So I am working on just finding what I need then getting someone to weld it together for me. But so far no luck on materials yet.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

My problem has become finding the right materials. I know Nick Wheeler used Schedule 80 pipe. But when I go in to try and find pipe and a wide flange or I-beam, I can't. I went to the junk yards, and I went to the metal distributor in town and the didn't have pipe that would fit "nicely", meaning there was a ton of slop.

It doesn't matter what the schedule pipe is to me, any more.

I just need the vice to be 2" - 2.5" inside diameter. And then go from there. Same for the wide flange.

So I am working on just finding what I need then getting someone to weld it together for me. But so far no luck on materials yet.

Try www.speedymetals.com

You can just get a piece of angle iron ($20), cut in half, attach the two pieces, shape the front the way that best suits you, drill/tap a few holes for support holes and vise, place it in a heavy duty vise and you are good to go.
This is what I did. Works great and didn't cost but about $30 total.
2013Progress029.jpg

You can just get a piece of angle iron ($20), cut in half, attach the two pieces, shape the front the way that best suits you, drill/tap a few holes for support holes and vise, place it in a heavy duty vise and you are good to go.

I like that idea! Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting ideas guys. Now I have to get busy and make something or my head will explode from all the information.

Brian, not sure if this will help you or not but here is what I use. It has two arms, the short one has the rubber protected jaws for holding thin material, the longer one I have a 2" Wilton Bullet vise setup, rotate it over and I have an aluminum plate that I clamp blades to when I need to to work on them.

Hope this helps, if you want measurements or more info just yell, be glad to help.

John I.

Attachments

• IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 33
Here's some food for thought.

I've got a Bessey vice mounted to my bench which has the pipe vise on the bottom side. Great vise I love it alot and got it from Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_210019-5280...e&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=bessey+vise&facetInfo=

I made my knife vice from a 6" long 3" pipe nipple also from lowes. There is no second pipe needed I just clamp it in the Bessey and it tilts or rotates into any position. Now that I've got this versatile set-up I couldn't live without it.

I believe you'ld get by equally weel with the tab model like this clamped in the vice jaws-
http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-vise-tab-base.html

I made my hand sanding fixture from a piece of 3/8x4 mild steel flat bar. No need for a Tee or I-Beam set-up it's plenty stiff as it is. On top of that I mounted a piece cut from a cheap white cutting board from walmart which is attatched in the back with drilled and tapped screws. On the nose end I drilled and tapped for thumb screws to compensate for the blades taper. No welding involved and rock solid. There's no fancy mounting involved I just clamp it right between the vice jaws. It does tilt but does not rotate. I had planned to weld a section of pipe on the tail end to get the rotating movement which would be nice for sanding clips but I haven't done it yet.

I'd be happy to snap a few pics for you if you're interested.

I LOVE the set-up that Nick built but space is a premium for me so doing it all with the use of my Bessey vice works out well for me.

-Josh

I've got my vise mounted on the corner of the bench to take advantage of the swivel base which I use alot. I also keep my knifemakers vice and sanding fixture stored within reach of the vice

visepics001_zps1fdb12c4.jpg

Pipe nipple knifemakers vice clamped in pipe vice on the Bessey. Tilts and rotates for work in any position

visepics002_zpsec367236.jpg

Closer view of home made knifemakers vice. my construction is very similar to this tutorial if you hadn't run across it yet-
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=2294

visepics003_zpsf95ea956.jpg

Hand sanding fixture ready for use

visepics004_zps079d95f3.jpg

View of the 5 thumbscrews raising the cutting board to support the blade. Thumbscrews from Lowes also in a 6-pack for a couple dollars

visepics005_zpsd171a5f3.jpg

Tapered nose for access to the belly of the blade

visepics006_zps0c1b3391.jpg

Fixture just clamped in the vise jaws and rock solid

visepics007_zps46f88dfc.jpg

That about covers my set-up. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

-Josh

Back