Knife Makers do you?

Just tillered our garden We can plants the onions and galic , but it still early here, We plant are maters when the mesquite tree leafs out. I had squash and mater running out of my ears last year.

Well, I'll be darned! I'll be out back with a shovel, a bucket and some Ziplock bags if anyone needs me. The real thing's gotta be better than man-made, right? :D

Don't forget to label them right. Bucks in one, does in other.:haha:

Planted potatos and pees on Friday. Plant potatos on good Friday, that's what my Grandpa has always said. Corn and green beens around Derby time. (Kentucky Derby that is)

Can't live without one

My wifes a vegetarian so it helps with the veggie bills. I do the heavy lifting (tilling, fencing, amending). She does the seeding and watering. And I do admit that everything tastes better than what CA. stores have been stocking.

Just tilled mine up today! I grew up on a farm, I keep a 20x30 plot in the yard every year and it is PACKED with heirloom tomatoes and peppers that I start from seeds every year, usually have about 26 mater plants, some squash and zucchini, some bell peppers, and some jalepenos. I grow strawberries in some pots I bought for them and I have a few blackberry vines as well growing in our patio area... I fill up this 1/4 of an acre, it aint hard to do...

You'd be amazed at what a soaker hose will do for a garden, put er on a timer and forget about it... I use one of those miracle grow fertilizer wands in line with my soaker hose and I never have to worry about anything but pickin and keepin my mater tied up, I fill up the fertilizer reservoir about once a month with the packets.

I ripped out some shrubbery and replaced it with an herb garden last night. Two days ago I planted a cypress tree and later on today I will plant a pine tree. Guess I am starting to feel springy.

Allen,
Them there cypress really like it down here in the swamps but I'm not real sure about up there in them rocks , you just might be chasen your tail on that one:bud:

We have a 50x100 garden here at the office that is in and growing. Have a 40x50 fenced garden at home that's in and mulched. Also the blueberries are blooming, the grapes and muscadines are leafing, and the asparagus is up and growing. I'm havin abig ole mess of fresh asparagus this weekend2thumbs

Don't forget to label them right. Bucks in one, does in other.:haha:

bahaha! If I knew the difference, well, I'd be smarter than I am now. All deer poop looks about the same to me :confused: I can hardly tell it from rabbit poop. :(

I did do some yardwork... cut down the scraggly, half-dead arbor vitaes that were blocking my front window. Gettin' a lot more sun in my front room now, saves on the electric/heat bill. Unfortunately, I have to put pants on to prevent the neighbors from gettin offended when they walk their dogs or jog at night. :eek:

I used to have a 15'x30' garden. I was able to plant relatively early, late March to early April. I had a home in Sacramento, CA and when spring came along and all through summer, you had sun. Nothing but sun. No rain, just sun. I was able to find a good spot that got some partial shade in the late afternoon because the temps could exceed 115 degrees in the middle of the day. Because of the high temps, I had to drench the garden daily, but to be able to pull vegetables out minutes before eating them was really gratifying.

Thanks for the memories

Jeff

I alway plant tomatoes and couple types of greens, and various herbs. This year I am going to grow some "ghost chilies" (bhut jolokia) aka the hottest peppers in the world!!!!! 1 million on the scoville scale!!!! That's melt your face hot!!!

I am no farmer, never claimed to be, so I have a dumb question. What do you guys put on your bush beans when small holes begin appearing on leaves, then the leave is eaten away. I have sprayed with a commercial insect (garden) killer, but I still see holes appearing and leaves disappearing. Did not have that trouble last year until end of season.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jim

I am no farmer, never claimed to be, so I have a dumb question. What do you guys put on your bush beans when small holes begin appearing on leaves, then the leave is eaten away. I have sprayed with a commercial insect (garden) killer, but I still see holes appearing and leaves disappearing. Did not have that trouble last year until end of season.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jim

Bump for an answer?

Sounds like unfriendly lil critters are nibbling at your garden. This may or may not work for your plants, but it's dirt cheap, not likely to harm them, and I've found it to be really effective at killing pests and keeping them away:

Soak a cigarette in a quart of water overnight. Run the "tea" thru a coffee filter to remove the bits of tobacco, then put the "tea" in a spray bottle and mist your plants with it. Little pests like aphids and mites will avoid it like the plague. Apparently the nicotine in the tobacco is a natural pesticide. It has worked for me.

Probably want to test it on one plant first to see if it helps or hurts it. I suspect you shouldn't use this on the actual fruit or beans etc when they start to come in, it might be harmful to them or make them taste yucky.

I've also heard that you can buy ladybugs, which are cute and wipe out plant-eating bugs real quick. Some folks say planting garlic in your garden also discourages pesky insects from coming around. Haven't tried either myself, though.

Thanks, I am going to try the tobacco one, going to have to bum a cigarette off my daughter, but she will not miss it.;)
Jim

"Some folks say planting garlic in your garden also discourages pesky insects from coming around."

Sweet, I just stuck a few cloves of garlic in my herb garden this morning!

As far as plants it's marigolds.

JatMat, Go get yourself some " Seven " dust or spray. I use the spray, spray the plants and ground around them. No more bugs and will not hurt the plants or crops.

If your one that doesn't want any chemicals around your food, DON'T drink Bud or eat rice you don't want to know what we spray on rice:eek:

As far as plants it's marigolds.

JatMat, Go get yourself some " Seven " dust or spray. I use the spray, spray the plants and ground around them. No more bugs and will not hurt the plants or crops.

If your one that doesn't want any chemicals around your food, DON'T drink Bud or eat rice you don't want to know what we spray on rice:eek:

I have the seven dust, but have not used it yet. Now, I do want to know what you spray on the rice. I know what they used to use as fertilizer in Japan. They carried the fertilizer in "honey pots" cool 1

Back