kirinite buffing?

exitium

Ive never worked with kirinite before but have a slab I hope to put to use shortly. To that end I was wondering if anyone had any guidance on how to finish it? Buffer compound recommendations etc? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have used it a few times. i sand out to 2000 grit by hand, (wet or dry sanding, I've done both) then on the buffer with white compound. I have a separate buffing wheel just for doing handle material. keep it moving, if you stay to long in one spot you can heat it up too much.

Right from USAKNIFEMAER SITE: This is a brand material called Kirinite (TM). It has very intense bright metal pearl coloring. This material is a tough as Corian(tm). You can get matching pistol grips from Eagle Grips. It machines beautifully and is a pleasure to work with. Simply shape using typical wood working tools and methods, sand to 400 or 600 grit and give it a light buff to bring out a stunning, grippy finish.

Right from USAKNIFEMAER SITE: This is a brand material called Kirinite (TM). It has very intense bright metal pearl coloring. This material is a tough as Corian(tm). You can get matching pistol grips from Eagle Grips. It machines beautifully and is a pleasure to work with. Simply shape using typical wood working tools and methods, sand to 400 or 600 grit and give it a light buff to bring out a stunning, grippy finish.

Yea, unfortunately that didnt specify a compound to use if any, so I was just looking for a bit more detail from others who have used it.

We have been making a run of knives with Kirinite handles.

The process we are using seems to be working.
We rough sand with a 40 or 50 to grind down the corby bolts flush. Dipping in water often to minimize any melting around the bolt.
then we slack belt sand with a 120 and a worn 240 belt. Some additional sanding with a slack of 400 grit wouldn't hurt but we clean any remaining marks up in buffing.
We buff with a pink compound first and then green to finish.

We have two wheels ganged together on one side of our double sided buffer. A 1/4"sewn and a loose buff side by side with pink compound. We use the 1/4" sewn to reduce any stubborn grind marks as it is more aggressive. The loose buff (is flannel, not canvas - there is a difference) gives a decent shine and we could stop there but we follow up with a green chrome buff using a 1/4" sewn wheel.

Back