Keeping white G10 from discoloring during handle shaping

Robert Erickson

KNIFE MAKER
Hi guys,
How do you keep your white G10 liners from discoloring when you're shaping the handle? I've tried wet sanding and cleaning with Acetone and it doesn't seem to brighten to a clean white.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You've discovered one of the biggest pains in knifemaking! :) White synthetics. There is no "easy" answer, just a LOT of time and effort. Personally, what I do is a LOT of hand sanding, using a new piece of paper every few strokes..... and NEVER buff....I use #0000 steel wool to finish it out once the HOURS of hand sanding is complete.

What Ed Said is right on the money!

I use fresh belts and use them for just a few minutes and then switch that belt out for a fresh one. I then use these belts on other non-white handle materials. Then, its hand sanding time! First, Avoid the black wet & dry. Use the garnet wood sanding papers when possible.

no, it's AO.
Look for any wood sandpaper that is white.

I used white g-10 on one knife. I didn't have a bit of trouble with it. And my handle was full of black pins and I sanded it with Norton black ice paper.

I thought it worked really fast and really easy and I was surprised that it didn't get all dirty because ivory micarta and some similar stuff has been a pain for me in the past.

I shaped mine on a new belt and then hand sanded it. I think when it was all done, I wiped it down with wd-40. It was bright, clean pure white when I was done.

Back