just a kitchen knife

GHEzell

I love making these...

12 5/8" overall, w2/15n20 176 (I think) layer blade, olivewood, buffalo horn, bronze, brass pins, and a bit of red g10. The blade is about 1/16" thick, 8" long, and will be used daily in its new home.
Yyg132.jpg

Yyg130.jpg

Yyg128.jpg

Thanks for looking... :)

Yaganagi, so that's what they are called... I had wondered what the proper term would be.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yaganagi, so that's what they are called... I had wondered what the proper term would be.
Thanks for the comments guys.

Would need to be a single bevel to be a yanagi.
Looks similar to a yanagi in shape.
If a double bevel it is closer to a sujihiki.
To me looks kind of like an east/west slicer (I made that up). Not quite Asian, not quite western.
Whatever you want to call it, looks like a great knife.

To me looks kind of like an east/west slicer (I made that up). Not quite Asian, not quite western.
Whatever you want to call it, looks like a great knife.

I think you nailed it... I've never had the chance to examine the asian knives, but I admire them none the less. This one is a full flat-grind with a hint of convexity to it. I've never liked the one-sided grinds, but I'm left-handed and therefore they are backwards for me anyway... I like 'em ambidextrous.

Thanks guys.

I think you nailed it... I've never had the chance to examine the asian knives, but I admire them none the less. This one is a full flat-grind with a hint of convexity to it. I've never liked the one-sided grinds, but I'm left-handed and therefore they are backwards for me anyway... I like 'em ambidextrous.

Thanks guys.

George,
They do make Lefty Chisel/Deba Grind knives. You do want the flat on the inside of the body for control or the blade will roll over on you like it sounds you have found out.

You can make one yourself of course. I'm still not clear on all the true Japanese names but I can tell you if you want to get paper thin pieces of fish, Beef, vegetation or the Seaweed paper wrap on Sushi rolls?
The Chisel/Deba grind is what is used for these display/final cuts by top Japanese Chef's.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back