Jungle parang

Stormcrow

I had been busy for a couple of weeks working on fabricating some tooling to hopefully make certain forging more efficient with my hydraulic forging press. To help get back into the swing of hammering sharp-and-pointies, I forged out this parang. I really like this; it wants to take off limbs, from trees or otherwise. :D

parang01.jpg

The steel is 5160, forged from 1/4" stock and retaining much of its thickness in the spine. It's been given my typical triple normalization, triple hardening, triple tempering cycle that I use on 5160. The handle is an integral socket with olive drab paracord for the main wrap and black for the two-strand Turk's head knots, impregnated with Minwax Wood Hardener. The blade length, including the choil, is 13" and the overall length is 19 1/2".

It shaves hair right nicely. :D

parang03.jpg

Thanks, Shawn! I can see why you'd like it; not too different from the point on the knife in your avatar, if it's the one I think it is. :)

I lived in W. Malaysia when I was 12-13 Y/O I watched and learned some from the locals about how they could use a Parang. Yes! You can take limbs off of anything and do lots more damage with a well shaped Parang.

There was this lady in her late 70's that lived in a squatter's Hut in front of our house at the beach that i use to watch her split fire wood ever day for cooking. You wouldn't ever want to get this nice little old lady mad at you!!

Nice one.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back