Introduction and help wanted.

Surthriver

Hello Everybody!
This is my first post and I figured I’d introduce myself in the “New to Knifemaking” section.
I ground out my first knife on a hard wheel grinder about 2 ½ years ago from a old rusted piece of steel I found in our woods. It wasn’t even close to good but the bug bit me and progressively I’ve got better tools and more skill and each knife turns out a little better than the last.

Right now I’m working with a old 4x36 belt grinder, a old Craftsmen variable speed electric (corded) drill, a angle grinder (a cut off-wheel to cut blanks out to the “rough” and a grinding wheel to grind em closer to the line), a vise, and various hand tools that you would normally find in a shop.

But anyway, long story short, I have a birthday coming up and my dad is getting me a gift card to Harbor Freight or Sears, whichever I want. Harbor Freight I can get more tools/possibly less quality, or Sears less tools/better quality.

I’m wanting another belt grinder, preferably a 2x72 but nobody has it in my budget. Harbor Freight only has something like I have already (4x36), and a 1x30. Craftsmen has a 2x42 for about 160$. I’m thinking on the Craftsmen. Is it worth buying? Also, would it be worth forgetting about buying one now and saving up for a Grizzly 2x72?

I also need a drill press. Harbor Freight carries one for 70$. It’s a 5-speed, tabletop model. I know it is better the drill I’m using now. But is it worth buying? Craftsmen has several but they run about 110-160$.

And last, I need a bandsaw. Harbor Freight has one for 125$ but its not variable speed and max speed is 1725 rpm. Is that too fast to be cutting metal with?

Any help on the quality and usefulness of these tools would be greatly appreciated. Thanks‼

Buy the craftsman drill press.
But a portaband bandsaw from harbor freight to cut metal with,you'll have to modify it with a stand and table.

Here's what I would do - however this is just my opinion. There are many ways to skin this cat.

If you've got a 4x36 there's very little another grinder in the 2x42 class will let you do. I would definitely start to save up for a proper 2x72 machine. Which one is another deal entirely and considering it's football season and we're all rared up for some competition, I'm a KMG guy.

I've worn out a few of the Harbor Freight and Northern Tool brand drill presses. They work just fine for fixed tang knives. My first one was $44 including a coupon, the next was $70, and now I think the one I'm running with is the slightly larger Northern Tool was $99. Honestly the cheapest HF machine is as good as any in this class IMO. None of them are a precision machine.

I don't have a bandsaw for steel currently myself. Would it speed things up? I'm pretty quick with the 4 1/2" and cutoff wheel. I do have a small Rikon 305 bandsaw that's a wood only machine at 1700 FPM for working with handle scales and with a proper resaw blade it definitely has paid for itself at under $200 shipped.

Ok here is what I would suggest.
I have used this band saw with no problems but it may be too high for you.
http://www.harborfreight.com/horizontal-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw-93762.html
if so I have seen others use this potaband
http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-variable-speed-bandsaw-47840.html
for the drill press the 5 sped will work for now I use mine quite a bit but have a larger one for tougher or thicker metals.
here is a link for 25% off and 20% off any item at HF
http://promocodesforyou.com/index.php?id=58&gclid=CObfqa-swbkCFcJj7Aodq3cAGg
Those save quite a bit

Welcome to the pack!
The best 2 wheel real 2 x 72 grinder IMHO, is this one. www.cootebeltgrinder.com

I purchased one of these back in about 98 and it's still working fine. If Dad doesn't love you quite that much.:biggrin:
The 2 x 42 will work. I had one and sold each knife I made for enough to make three more along with putting the money from each third knife into a coffee can until I had enough to get the Coote 2 x 72 machine.

You can get Ceramic belts in 2 x 42 from www.trugrit.com

I am just starting out too, and just bought the harbor freight $75 drill press. I moved the speed down to the 620 RPM wheels and it cuts nice and smooth.

I got a 2x72 Pheer VFD grinder with motor and shipping at a very reasonable price. I have a HF drill press I have been using for over 3 years with no problems. For cutting handle materials I use a 10" Craftsman band saw. For metal a Milwaukee Porta Band with a DIY stand. Works like a charm. The Craftsman 2x42 is way to fast for me. I always try to buy the best I can so not to have to buy again.

Back