Integral grinding fixture for KMG.

jmforge

Does anyone make one? I can find the fixtures for other manufacturers, like Feder, Wilmont, Brodbeck, etc. but number for the KMG I would prefer not to have to buy a completely separate machine like the uncle Al device but I’m not sure I’m comfortable trying to build one.

I think he is referring to a small wheel holder. Uncle Al has a grinder with a small wheel that the guys who make integral knives use to finish the transition from blade to bolster.

Does anyone make one? I can find the fixtures for other manufacturers, like Feder, Wilmont, Brodbeck, etc. but number for the KMG I would prefer not to have to buy a completely separate machine like the uncle Al device but I’m not sure I’m comfortable trying to build one.
I think integral is the right word, as in a (continous) integral bolster. It would seem even uncle ALs description is apparently spelled wrong.
But...I could be wrong!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230903_133920_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230903_133920_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 14
The forum "corrected" my spelling for me. INTEGRAL and yes that is the machine that I would rather not pay $800 for if I had another option that would work on my KMG. I have seen one in operation, but ti is not variable speed.

I understand now. Does the small wheel holder that Boss Dog sells not work with the KMG? I would think at worst you would need to buy the size arm that works with the KMG and then attach the small wheel holder to that. Then just get the wheel sizes you need. Not a cheap option at a bit over $200 depending on wheel size, but certainly not $800.

Sean it is more than just the small wheel. There is a flat plattern leading up to the small wheel so you can lay the flat of the blade on to it then move it to grind the curve on the bolster.

Sean it is more than just the small wheel. There is a flat plattern leading up to the small wheel so you can lay the flat of the blade on to it then move it to grind the curve on the bolster.
From the photo it looks like a normal small wheel attachment using a 1/2" (3/8"?) wheel with a platen added work do the job nicely. Rather than sell a complete dedicated grinder it seems an attachment would be fairly easy to rig up for market. OR, using a cheap 1 hp 1725 rpm 1ph motor with a 2" drive pulley for a belt speed of 900 SFPM would make a dedicated integral grinder.

Brodbeck has an integral bolstering and fullering attachment for $350. I'm not sure if their arms are compatible with KMG or not.

Ameribrade has an attachment that attaches to a small wheel holder. You could potentially purchase that and get it rigged up to work. I actually have one and an og KMG. Wonder if it would fit okay on there…

I can try to take a look sometime this week if you’re not sure.

Jesse, that looks pretty much what I rigged up a couple yrs ago for finishing blades. Life the platen 1/8" above the roller, lay blade flat as grinder is running in reverse and it puts a really nice flat finish to the blade with almost no grind marks. Even an 80 grit belt will surprise you have good the finish looks. Finish with 400 grit and say goodbye to hand sanding..... well, most of it anway :)

Yes. If so, how do I get in touch with him other than Instagram? I don’t use that service at this time

DD Workrest - Don Dentz‘ email from Instagram profile is dondtz at comcast dot net

Back