If a hole is off a little!!!

Ha! Exactly!

That's the 64,000 dollar question I ask myself every step of the way. "What can go wrong?" Then when I'm fixated on a flaw that I'm debating on whether or not to correct, the question becomes, "Can I make it better? Maybe.... Will I make it worse? Absolutely." That's when I call it done.

There have been many times when I had to shake my head and accept the fact that I've done as well as I can, based on my skills right now. It becomes my white whale to overcome on the next one.

Last edited:
Ha! Exactly!

That's the 64,000 dollar question I ask myself every step of the way. "What can go wrong?" Then when I'm fixated on a flaw that I'm debating on whether or not to correct, the question becomes, "Can I make it better? Maybe.... Will I make it worse? Absolutely." That's when I call it done.

There have been many times when I had to shake my head and accept the fact that I've done as well as I can, based on my skills right now. It becomes my white whale to overcome on the next one.

Yup, I was almost happy with it and new the risk of poking the bear. I still did it. Then I said , that's it I quit this hobby, I'm no good at it. Then in a half hour I ordered another piece of steel, because I learned my lesson, maybe. Thanks for sharing your story, it helps.

I ALWAYS get my flats done first and then try like hell not to scratch them after that as I’m doing bevels.

Doing flats after the bevels will alter your plunges on the bevels. Then you really pull your hair out trying to get both sides the same before you grind the blade to dust.
doing the flats is easiest when there is the most flat! Lol...I do mine before I even rough grind the blade.(I do all my grinding after HT)

doing the flats is easiest when there is the most flat! Lol...I do mine before I even rough grind the blade.(I do all my grinding after HT)

Yep. It’s those last minute “touchups” when you think you can remove 2 microns if you gently, slowly put it on the belt..... and WHACK! lay it right on the edge of the belt at a 45 degree angle and cut a trench in what was a finished knife!

Back