Idea for new forum....Admins Please Read

good conversation.
for our purposes, we will show (and encourage showing) knives field dressing or butchering in the kitchen. Food is a pretty natural thing. Food is G rated.
We won't have graphic, head chopping or the violence and I understand violence is different to different people.

wow this brought out quite a bit of conversation.

as former chef, I can say that the most abused knives are found in the kitchen.

For the most part, from a collector's perspective, bowie types and fighters don't have much more use than as show pieces/conversation pieces unless price fits the function. If you spend over $500 are you really going to use it? The honest answer is no. This doesn't mean there aren't ways of testing them. Watermelons or reed mats work just fine.

These are what I was thinking: (didn't consider the knives used for combat)

Hunting: skinning which could include deer, squirrel, rabbit, and various other game animals. if you want to include elephant, go ahead.

Camping: Clearing brush with a camp knife can be particularly hard on knives.

Bushcraft: Being one the most fun activities with a knife, bushcraft can be used to show a myriad of uses your knives were designed for.

ABS testing: for you guys that are pursuing an ABS level, my hat's off to you for sure. You are required to literally test your metal. Why not show us your stuff?

chopping contests: I have gone to see these in the past, and all i can say is wow. Lots of use going on there.

I whole heartedly agree that the site needs keep it's "G" rating.

thanks for all the comments.

I think there are plenty of things you can do with knives and such without crazy violence.

If someone crosses the line, not a big deal, we delete inappropriate posts all the time ;)

Big boy rules folks

I think a lot of tactical's can and do serve multiple uses but I know what David is saying, there are some knives that have one purpose and it's impossible to show that in a G rated forum, and there is the near impossibility of getting such photo or video proof without going to jail. But sometimes I don't think people think through this issue properly and I think that might be part of what David was getting at. I listed a VPD flipper on another forum once (VPD is my very thin bladed dagger, both edges sharp) and someone ask if the blade wasn't a bit thin and delicate for everyday use. This indicated to me that that person hadn't given much thought to what the knife was designed for (slash & stab, hopefully in self defense). Chances are pretty low that a person might actually put this type of knife to use but there are many people who practice with them and are ready :)

I think a lot of tactical's can and do serve multiple uses but I know what David is saying, there are some knives that have one purpose and it's impossible to show that in a G rated forum, and there is the near impossibility of getting such photo or video proof without going to jail. But sometimes I don't think people think through this issue properly and I think that might be part of what David was getting at. I listed a VPD flipper on another forum once (VPD is my very thin bladed dagger, both edges sharp) and someone ask if the blade wasn't a bit thin and delicate for everyday use. This indicated to me that that person hadn't given much thought to what the knife was designed for (slash & stab, hopefully in self defense). Chances are pretty low that a person might actually put this type of knife to use but there are many people who practice with them and are ready :)

And I do agree but there are ways of substituting a body. Like a pumpkin or water melon or even a block of ballistics gel. I make a big block of ballistics gel once a year to test my brothers hand loads for all our guns.

Back