I need some help with some Stainless Steel

Justin W.

Hey guys I would like to make some kitchen knives as gifts for family but the problem that I am running into is that I don't want to make them out of carbon steel and have it rust on them. My family members cook often but have absolutely no experience with carbon steel blades. So I would like to make one or two stainless kitchen knives and I am completely lost lol. I'm not real sure what steel to go with,who I should send it too to heat treat two knives, and whether I should order it with or without decarb. I appreciate the help THANKS

A lot of guys talk highly of AEB-L for kitchen knives. Supposedly easy to grind and sharpen. I think John Wilson is using it pretty much exclusively now?

It's funny you bring up the need for stainless...I just took a brand new A-2 blade upstairs to try it for food prep. My wife washes it in soap and water and sets it in the dish rack wet...I come back to get it and it has fine rust spots. I realize I habitually wipe my knives dry and haven't rusted one blade in three years....sigh. Maybe I should make the jump...but I love A-2...so tough!

Yep I was thinking AEB-L I just wanted to check with the community anyone know who could heat treat 2-3 AEB-L blades at probably 12 inches each

AEB-L is perfect for kitchen knives. In fact, just as Ted mentioned it’s the only steel I use unless somebody requests something else specifically.

I make almost every kitchen knife from .110 thickness except for small knives (4 inch blades or less) and fillet knives. For those I use .070 thickness

I also grind everything after it’s been heat treated.

I used to send all my stuff to Peters Heat Treat before I began doing my own. Peters has very good prices and they are a joy to deal with.

OK that's probably what I will do thanks John once they are done you guys will be the first to get some pictures. If I have anymore questions I might private msg you John Thanks

Yikes peters price is a bit steep for 3 blades (totally understandable I'm sure that they have bigger fish to fry than my three blades and if I had a bulk order I would go with them because there services seem top notch) is there anywhere else that could heat treat just a few knives for a bit cheaper.

while I like A-2...aebl is sometimes a third the cost to buy. I actually have a 12" x 18" sheet to make knives from...I have a Paragon oven. Just haven't played with the steel yet.

John...do you normalize your steel before using it? Do you mind sharing your HT recipe?

Justin, maybe check if any guys in your area are using it. It seems pretty popular...

Yikes peters price is a bit steep for 3 blades (totally understandable I'm sure that they have bigger fish to fry than my three blades and if I had a bulk order I would go with them because there services seem top notch) is there anywhere else that could heat treat just a few knives for a bit cheaper.

I thought they were about $15 a blade. It’s been a little while so maybe I’m way out of touch. I remember they had a bulk price so I used to send them 20 at a time, or whatever the max was.

You can send your blades to me for $10 a piece plus return shipping. The only reason I’d charge anything is to cover the cost of the foil and the dry ice. Fair warning- I cannot test the hardness. I follow a set recipe that gives me great results. I’ll treat yours exactly the way I treat mine.

Peters does actual cryogenic treatment and tests hardness. I am certainly not equipped to rival Peters.

John...do you normalize your steel before using it?

Nope. Never found it necessary. I quench between plates and that pretty much solves warp. On a few rare occasions I’ve had some that wanted to warp no matter what and needed some straightening. I clamp it in a vise and persuade it with a torch and a tug.

Next time I get a piece that comes in looking like a leaf spring (it happens) I will see if normalizing it first does the trick.

Do you mind sharing your HT recipe?

Not at all. Let me dig it up later. I’ll post it here.

You might check tru grit on heat treating. A while back when I was thinking of having a few blade sent in I seem to recall that true grit might have pretty good prices on small batches. I can't remember now though I could be wrong

Back