I need help

A.W.Stovall

I have made 2 sheaths and I'm not happy with either, How do you guys that are hand sewing get the stiches so tight, mine stick out too much? A tutorial on a few kinds of sheaths would be nice
Thanks Anthony

Hi, Anthony,
The first thing I do is use a pair of light leather gloves that I have cut the fingers off of. I start off by running a groove for the stiches that is deeper than the diameter of the thread. This gets the thread below the surface of the leather and protects it from abrasions. After the groove, I use an overstich wheel as a spacer for the hole marks. If you use waxed linen thread, it will stay tight when you pull it and "set" the stich, but it will pick up any color from anything it comes in contact with. Sometimes I want a bright white stich, and use nylon for that. Nylon resists "setting", so I pull hard enough on the thread to tighten about 6 stiches back to lock them in. The final step is to run the overstich wheel over the length.
dennie

Dennie pretty much nailed it.

I would advise also getting AL Stohlman's book "The Art of Hand sewing". You can get it from Tandy/Leather Factory, Amazon, or most leather supply places. TTHe Art of Hand Sewing is the reference book for hand sewing leather. I would also recommend any of Stohlman's books on making cases as well.

If you get the chance, go to the Al Stohlman Museum in Fort Worth. The museum is in one of the big Tandy/Leather Factory stores. All of the projects in the Case Making Books,which Al and his wife Anne made while writing these books, are on display. Be prepared to be blown away by the work you can do hand sewing. If you like leather work you need to see this museum

Last edited:
Back