I have something purty...

fluidsteel

I am a service plumber. I was working in a large house, 7,000+ sq ft and saw this bad boy sitting in the corner of the basement.

Picture851.jpg

Picture850.jpg

Picture852.jpg

I asked the homeowner if it was for sale. She said " Oh My God!!! Someone actually WANTS that UGLY thing????? :what!: "

I said "Why yes, I think it's beautiful! What do you want for it :biggrin: ??"

She said, "PLEASE, TAKE IT AWAY!!! It's been in the Goodwill pile twice, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it since it was my dads!"

I twice more asked if I could buy it. She assured me it wasn't for sale..and I happily brought Wally home.

I have had 4 people who know ivory give two different opinions. Two have said it's ancient ivory that was scrimmed, and two say it's old ivory, 1972ish and it was treated to look ancient.

So, either way I imagine I'll just have Wally decorate my shop. He's a good looking fellow.

I spent about 8 hours searching for the artist that did the scrim, Elia Abruska, to research CITES, and to hopefully nail the date based on the artist's name, but had no luck.

It appears to be ancient ivory, but I think it was boiled/processed? It came out of Alaska in either the late 60's, or more likely just after '72 as it has rudimentary scrimshaw and is signed on both tusks. That was usually done after '72.

The homeowner's father owned a large maritime co that operated in the sixties there so it's possible it's pre '72. Even if it's not usable for handles, it's for sure valuable and cool looking... 21" and 21-1/2" tusks when pulled from the sockets....

When I get my shop set up again I'll make her a nice kitchen knife as a thank you and surprise her with it....

Great find!
I would just put wally on the wall too! I beleive it called The Marine Mammals Act of 72?
been a while since I read it? It's is a very confusing document designed to make it such a hassle to own Whale,Walrus etc.. That I don't bother using any of that stuff on my knives.

Also I really love marine mammals and Rhino's for instance and I would hate to use something from a magnificent animal that was slaughtered just for the Ivory.

Animals do die naturally. But very little of that ends up on the market unless it died several thousand years ago.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I'd love to use some ancient Walrus tusk eventually on my knives, I find it incredibly beautiful. But, this guy will have to stay on the wall.
I have to say if the purpose of the Marine Mammal Act and CITES was to confuse a person it works. Well, it's not that bad, but to be responsibly informed it takes a few hours(days) of reading.

Back