I am curious...

Oh also I use a $10 flea market toaster oven for the temper and then rendered hog fat from a pig we butchered mixed with veggy oil for the quench

I have been using a coal forge for a year. I just built a forced air gas forge with a "pid" and a "k thermocouple. I got all the info on ed cafferys site for the "pid and thermocouple" I can basicly run my forge at any temp I want with in +/-30°f I can probably tune it in better I have only got it built it a week ago still needs little adjustment here and there. I would suggest this set up for any blacksmith on a budget. Here are some pic's.

My forge web-1000x1000.jpgpid web.jpg

Lol I'm gonna wait for the short period of my life whenever Im working a real job but not married that's when I will get my HT oven

Agree. When you run out of things to get, then it’s time for an oven. I love my oven dearly, but it does one thing- save me time. Money-wise, sending out for heat treat on stainless is very cost effective. A propane forge for carbon steels is a huge bang for the buck.

I am going to use the info on Ed’s site to set mine up soon. Mr. Gruff can the stuff you have yours set up with survive forge welding temps?

I picked up this little guy, used, for a song. Couldn’t get the money out fast enough. It’s a bit small and the controller is crude, but it can be dialed into within a few degrees. I use a fluke meter to read the temp (kinda like s pyrometer). I’ve had it as hot as 2200*F. And so far it works really well.

B904BA96-1971-47C7-8C00-11BFF947EB7F.jpeg

Back