Hunting Knife

That's sweet! Is that a quench line on the blade? If so, how'd you heat treat it? Pretty awesome!

I know you didn't ask, but if it were me, I'd like to see a little higher degree of finish on that wood. Although I've never worked with it, I've seen others that really popped. Thanks for sharing!

That's sweet! Is that a quench line on the blade? If so, how'd you heat treat it? Pretty awesome!

I know you didn't ask, but if it were me, I'd like to see a little higher degree of finish on that wood. Although I've never worked with it, I've seen others that really popped. Thanks for sharing!

The blade is diferentially heat treated. I used a torch.

The wood is not stabilized so I took it to 400 grit and then used 0000 steel wool. I finished it with Watco Danish Oil. If anyone has some suggestions about finishing the wood and making it "POP" I am all ears.

The blade is diferentially heat treated. I used a torch.

The wood is not stabilized so I took it to 400 grit and then used 0000 steel wool. I finished it with Watco Danish Oil. If anyone has some suggestions about finishing the wood and making it "POP" I am all ears.

I've experimented with my last two knives with the Bruce Bump CA Glue technique. It has worked really well on the two non-stabilized wood scales I used it on. Brings out a shine and makes the figure stand out.

Here's a link to the tutorial. Super Glue Finish

The trick is to use very thin CA Glue and use thin layers. The first one I did I forgot and used a few thick layers. Took a while to sand it all off, but I did eventually and it was pretty sweet.

I hope you didn't take offense to my comment in the above post, it was meant to be constructive. I understand also that lighting and cameras can sometimes fail to capture the luster on a knife or scales, I just didn't think before typing that out. Keep up the good work, I like your knives a lot!

No offense taken. The wood wasn't coming out like I wanted it to. I am glad you said something about it. It means someone else would have noticed as well. I did some different finishing to it yesterday. I will post a pic tomorrow showing the difference.

But seriously, thank you and I will take a look at the Super glue finish idea.

I like it. If you do post new pictures, throw something in the picture with the knife to show some scale...I'm just curious. Good job tho....it looks nice.

Back