Howdy from the Thumb of Michigan

ZebDeming

Howdy everyone! I've lurked here for a while and I'd figure I'd introduce myself. I've been working with metal one way or another since I was pretty young, when I tired of playing on the swingset, dad let me practice using the cutting torch to cut it up, I may have been maybe 8 years old :) I'm an auto mechanic in real life, but after work I'm normally in the garage working on something, I've got a small machine shop and just recently I've goten into bladesmithing. Started out with a rail road track for an anvil and a gas forge, last week I picked up a 180 pound chunk of D2 steel for an anvil and I'm loving it. I've done a little cable damascus, and I'm working on finishing up a knife made from bloom steel made in an improvised aristotle furnace, but mostly just pounding out stuff from old coil springs that I get from my day job. Just self teaching myself by reading stuff from places like this and practicing. Thanks for having me, I look forward to sharing my humble metal hacking with you guys, and learning as much as I can :)

Zeb

Welcome to KD,

Where in the Thumb are you from? Im in Marlette, the Heart of the thumb.. lol at least thats what the sign coming into town says! lolol

Thanks for the welcome fella's. I'm about a half hour's drive north of you Randy.
Here's a pic of my first knife, it's a cable damascus friction folder

DSCN1395.jpg

Here's another that's just rough, but made for just everyday use, it don't matter if it get's beat up, it's forged from a car coil spring.

IMAG0112.jpg

And another that I'm slowly working on, it's from W1 and I'm going to try and get a hamon on it

DSCN1484.jpg

Thanks for having a place where a lowly metal hack like myself can share some of the stuff I do!

Zeb

Good to have another Dog close-- I head out to Randy's a lot-- maybe we could all meet up there for coffee as he is about 1/2 hour north of me.

What do you think Randy??

Cool, lots of folks from Michigan! I'd be up for some coffee sometime, I'd love to meet up with other knifemakers

Back