Howdy from Deep South Texas

bliksemdonder

Howdy from Edinburg, TX. I made my first knife in 1980 using an old file but HT and annealing was unknown to me at the time so the outcome was poor. My interest in making knives has been rekindled as I have since settled in Texas, originally from South Africa, and have been disappointed in the quality of skinning and butchery knives commonly available. My other hobbies include general aviation, R/C aviation, gun smithing, lost wax jewelry casting, cabinet making, casting boolits and reloading, hunting, fishing and sausage making.

Been doing research as I am in need of good skinning knives and good meat cleavers. Making my own is the plan and this lead me to searching the interwebs for ideas. This site seems the place for me to get ideas and to join a knowledgeable group of like-minded folks.

In the coming weeks I will be building a 2x72" grinder and a HT oven. I have my own machine shop and am very familiar with PID's due to my industrial electronics background.

I shifted gears in my career 11 years ago and now work in the produce industry as a plant engineer. Currently I am near the end of establishing a new packing facility for onions.

Howdy. With the exception of the R/C aviation that sounds like a list of my hobbies! I gave up on my pilots license years ago, but I can say that I have flown solo one time. I plan to leave the flying to someone else from here on out! With all of the info and helpful people here, you will be making some good knives in no time at all.

Bill

Howdy. With the exception of the R/C aviation that sounds like a list of my hobbies! I gave up on my pilots license years ago, but I can say that I have flown solo one time. I plan to leave the flying to someone else from here on out! With all of the info and helpful people here, you will be making some good knives in no time at all.

Bill

Flown solo one time successfully I guess.:3:

Yeah. It was a lonely feeling when I got up in the air and looked over at that empty seat beside me. The saying, "Take offs are optional, landings are mandatory" crossed my mind! I don't know how far you are from Brownsville, TX, but if you get down that way, Don Robinson is a great knife maker and more importantly a great person that is full of information. You should look him up.

Bill

Back