how to seal scales into a butcher,s knife ?

graveyard

i,m a novist ive ben ask to make a new knife for a hog farmer.. he likes wood scales but ask if i can seal the scale to the blade to keep .fat blood exctera from under the scales ive used epoxy ,,will that seal it completely ore is there a better way any advice welcome help out a mutte thank,s

Glue them down with a good marine epoxy or bedding compound. Not all epoxies are waterproof but those are plus they're not as likely to break down over time. Using a dense, oily wood or a stabilized wood that will not absorb blood and other fluids would be a good idea too.

Doug

As Doug mentioned use a Marine epoxy, Like the G-Flex Bossdog sells.

Use Micarta or get some Kirinite for the handle from bossdog. I make
culinary/butcher knives and that way you have about a zero chance of there being any small holes in a wood or stabilized wood where blood can hide and grow bacteria. I use the Kirinite these days because it's much more user friendly than nasty Micarta.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

marine epoxy these is a slow seting epoxy am i wrong .is these as strong bonding as the clear ive used? ill check out the kirinite . question is it something that can be tetured ??

You can texture most any handle material. I would just hand sand to say 120 or 220 grit if you want the handle grippy.
I think the G-Flex marine may be stronger than the Devcon clear that I used for years. I am a G-Flex man now. It dries in about the same time as the clear.
I leave it overnight and do the finish grinding in 24-36 hours.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Acraglas bedding compound dries over night. West marine epoxy system comes with different hardeners that cure at different speeds. You can go to USA Knife Maker Supply and read it's listing there on the different times for the different hardeners. Both products have a very good reputation for making a lasting bond. Unless your customer is insisting on wood, Laurence's suggestion about the Micarta is real good for just the reason he stated. You can go to Alpha Knife Supply and check out what they have. Some of the course canvas looks like it could have a good texture for gripping if you don't sand it out smooth.

Doug

Last edited:
Back