How to remove GUN Kote without sandblasting

zzknives

Well well didn´t the ads say GunKote is durable and long lasting...

Not really true

Guess what I just figured out.

I had this small knife I coated with GunKOte a while ago.

Modified it on the weekend and to make the blade look darker I etched it

Someone told me that I´d get an used look by putting it into bleach right after etching

I did and GUESS what the bleach ate away the GunKote within 2 hours :bud:

Just though it might be interesting for people who don´t have sandblasting equipment

AL

Last edited:
I would second the Paint Stripper. Also might try brake fluid. Get as much as you can off them hit it with an old work 60-80 Blaze or similar.

Sorry top hear about the coating not holding out. I am not sure I would trust any coated blade with etching in vinegar etc though? I am not doubting anyones advice...just saying it sounds a bit odd is all?

Hope you get it squared up soon!

Best of luck,

Chris

nope
paint stripper doesn´t work on GunKote or similar coatings... I have tried LOL

Have tried to remove it with Ferric chlorid,vinegar,... before didn´t work either

So bleach is the only thing I know off yet that removes GunKote

nope
paint stripper doesn´t work on GunKote or similar coatings... I have tried LOL

Have tried to remove it with Ferric chlorid,vinegar,... before didn´t work either

So bleach is the only thing I know off yet that removes GunKote

That is crazy....LOL Well at least we know its better than plain old Rustoleum etc.

I would say maybe the next step is to sandblast it, or just remove the scales/handles and clean it up on the grinder?

Sounds like something that would happen to mecool 1:eek::D

I am sure you will get it...after all its just a coating, nothing the grinder or a blast wont take care of.

Sorry I am new to all of this, or I would give you some better options??

Sandblasting would be the easiest and best way to remove it.

But I don´t have any sandblasting equipment so I´m really glad that bleach works too

AL

Back