How to cut out steel?

A knife? :D cool 1:running dog:

Why didn't I think of that?!? :D By all means, throw out your ideas and ask for help like Mr Williams said. I don't have many answers but I've made plenty of mistakes, so at least I might be able to warn you about them! :eek:

kdc, thanks for the tip.

I'm glad your Dad is willing to help you out, Supporting Family members make these life experiences all that much sweeter!! Pugs, as far as I know you are the youngest member here. You have a LOT of time ahead of you to make knives, IMO. Take the time to learn from all the MANY experienced Makers here. Look at it like this, you just gained a BUNCH of "Uncles" who are willing to teach you what you want to know. Ask the questions, bud. You CAN do this!!

I'm glad your Dad is willing to help you out, Supporting Family members make these life experiences all that much sweeter!! Pugs, as far as I know you are the youngest member here. You have a LOT of time ahead of you to make knives, IMO. Take the time to learn from all the MANY experienced Makers here. Look at it like this, you just gained a BUNCH of "Uncles" who are willing to teach you what you want to know. Ask the questions, bud. You CAN do this!!

Thanks poco, you will like this knife i know it :D

LOL, it is a cross between a bowie, a kabar, and a buck model 119, and has some butcher knife thrown in :D

LOL, it is a cross between a bowie, a kabar, and a buck model 119, and has some butcher knife thrown in :D

Pug post your drawings. You know we like that and it gives you a chance to run ideas past us and get questions started. Oh and what are you using for handle material?

Pug post your drawings. You know we like that and it gives you a chance to run ideas past us and get questions started. Oh and what are you using for handle material?

I didnt draw it, i outlined a blade i have that i liked with chalk, then i modded it so i liked it, and then took a paint marker and cut it, i am using straight grained maple, and how should i attach the wood?

I didnt draw it, i outlined a blade i have that i liked with chalk, then i modded it so i liked it, and then took a paint marker and cut it, i am using straight grained maple, and how should i attach the wood?

Well that is going to be a hard one to answer. Is it a full tang? Hidden tang? Have you drilled holes to lesson the weight? Do you want pins or corby bolts or lanyard holes? I am not trying to be a butt, but give us some idea of what you are thinking about. Then we can go from there. Are you going for a primative look?

I have cut many blanks with an angle grinder but honestly those things scare me. If you get it in a little bit of a bind it can take off in unexpected directions or worse, break the cut off wheel and send pieces flying.

I finally invested in a Wilton metal cutting bandsaw and I am so glad I did.
RIV%20115.jpg

I can cut very close to my outline including cutting curves with a lot of control and very little waste. It did cost me $1000 but I think it was worth it. When you get to the point that you are trying to make some money making knives every bit of efficiency helps.

Last edited:
Well that is going to be a hard one to answer. Is it a full tang? Hidden tang? Have you drilled holes to lesson the weight? Do you want pins or corby bolts or lanyard holes? I am not trying to be a butt, but give us some idea of what you are thinking about. Then we can go from there. Are you going for a primative look?

It will be pinned, and have a lanyard hole, no extra holes in the tang, the tang is shaped like how i want the handle to be, i havent drilled anything yet.

Some good ideas here!
I don't mean to hijack, I'll start another thread to ask this if any one feels that would be more appropriate, but I was wondering if a small plasma cutter would be more time/cost efficient VS a band saw or maybe even an angle grinder and if it would be worth the investment to buy one to cut out knife patterns with?

Thanks.

? about plasma cutter efficiency?

bump1
I really am curios about the plasma cutter idea, any 1 know the answer?

I really am curios about the plasma cutter idea, any 1 know the answer?

It will work, but the high temperature will cause decarb and you must leave at least 1/8" extra material to be ground off to eliminate the damaged zone.

Last edited:
What ever you go with, please go out side in the driveway. Those sparks will start to burn in the most inconvenant places, cobwebs, leaves, dust, rags, steel wool, and many, many more. Angle grinders work well, but please do so out side. Your family will thank you for not burning the house up.

And have lots of fun! Stay safe. James Clair, Archer Moon.

my first 30 blades I cut out with a hacksaw and for the tight places I used a jewlers saw. rotery tool with a cut off blade works really well on thin stock. where there's a will theres a way. Gary

reviving an old thread:

I am currently using the angle grinder approach but I read a while back about someone using a handheld jigsaw, I have tried this already, but havn't found a blade that holds up long enough for me to use in 1/4" 1080 steel. Anyone use this method?--blade reccommendations?

Back