how do you get crisp plunge lines using a file?

I am building them now and can always make up one more for you .

Send me an email for photos and more info.

George

A filing jig is probably the only thing that would help you with keeping a crisp line at the top of the bevel when filing the bevels by hand. Check Youtube for Greenpete's knifemaking video, he has a simplistic setup that looks like it works ok. Regardless, you might expect to have to flatten things up on abrasive paper after filing, you will usually be able to get things a little flatter and crisper this way. A hard backing plate and good-quality 60-100 grit paper is where I would start after hand-filing bevels.

Probably the least expensive belt grinder that has a contact wheel like you need to do hollow grinding with is the Grizzly. Some people like them and some don't. Next in line is the Coote grinder. I have one and it has done everything that I have asked of it but again there are those who don't like it eather. Unlike the Grizz, the Coote doesn't come with a motor, which can be good or bad depending on one's point of view. After that I would say comes the build-it-yourself KMG cones. Tracey has plans for one on his store's site as well as many of the parts that you will need. I don't know of any wood working sanders that can be addapted to hollow grinding and I cannot recommend them.

Doug Lester

You can achieve any grind you want with a rock and a good dose of patience. :D

For the budget-minded maker, I strongly recommend the Craftsman 2x42 belt sander. It runs very fast so you have to use a light touch. Mount a glass platen on it, this will help a LOT in terms of getting truly flat grinds. Total cost, around $125, about like taking the family out for dinner and drinks (OK, maybe two dinners). It's not the best machine on the market but it WILL remove steel. Remind me to show you a couple mods to make it easier to work with. Belt choices are limited; don't settle for the Craftsman brand belts at Sears, they suck for grinding steel (wear out really fast). Better belts are available on Ebay and from sources like Tru-Grit and Super-Grit.

If your wallet is more robust, there are a lot better options out there. 2x72 pro-level grinders range from $400 to $2000 and up with all the cool features.

I think you're describing a saber grind; where the bevel is flat but doesn't go all the way up to the spine. Usually saber grinds have a more obtuse angle on the very edge. A Ka-Bar Marine Corps fighting knife and many other classic hunting/military knives are ground that way. It's a cost-effective way to build knives that have a reasonably keen bevel and are fairly strong. It's a compromise. A fully flat-ground blade with the same or even a more accute bevel, made from thicker stock, will be much stronger and just as sharp or sharper. But of course it will be more costly to produce.

Scandi (scandinavian or "Mora" type knives) grinds are similar, but the bevel goes all the way down to the very edge. This is sometimes called a "zero edge". It is thinner, sharper and easier to hone because all you need to do is lay the bevel on your stone and use that as your guide. Really good for small, thin knives that must be very keen but don't need to be extra-strong.

Regardless of the tools you use, it will take practice and patience to get both sides even and have a crisp line between the bevel and the flat. If it was easy, everyone would do it ;)

Last edited:
I bought one of those and it is seriously under-powered for knifemaking work. I don't know how they figure 3/4 hp but mine didn't have anywhere close to that. I found it to be pretty much useless except for very light work on wood and such. I used a Craftsman 4x36 for a while and it was much better but the Craftsman 2x42 is better for knifemaking in pretty much every respect.

i found a link for the craftsman 2X42 and some people werent saying many good things about it. what would be the cheapest yet most effective belt grinder for doing what i want to do? thats basically what i want to know lol

the cheapest grinder for what you want to do would be the grizzley. I have never used one so I cant speak for effectiveness. I have a $40 grinder from harbor freight it is under powered but it is better than hand fileing. I can not do hollow grinds on it. I plan to make a few knives to sell and will use the money to build the no weild grinder. from what I have seen and read that is probably the best grinder for your money.

0703102157.jpg

thats my draw out for the next knife i want to make, 7-1/4" blade, ~13" OAL. what tools/machine would i need to get the crisp bevel lines shown in the picture?

Back