" Hometown Heroes " Our next Knife Dog Military Build

So this is how it works . I've been going to a Recuiting Office (RO) , to explain the idea of a Build to the senior Recruiters . With their help I've been getting to know the enlistees . There are about 20 - 30 at any given time . Due to the Delayed Entry Program they may not be leaving for a month to a year .

Meet Kevin M. .. He's wanted to be a Marine since he was 7 years old , after seeing a Marine who was wearing his Dress Blues in an airport . He said he was walking with his father , when a door opened up , there was the Marine . He said he turned to his Dad and said " That's what I wanna be ... "

Well his journey started today by flying out to Parris Island . If he makes it through Boot camp , he is officially a Marine . He'll come back home for 10 days before shipping out to his AIT (Advanced Infantry Training) . His MOS (job skill) is Infantry so he'll be going to get some sand between his toes after that .

attachment.php

Attachments

• new sm build.jpg
    new sm build.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Confidence is very high in this young man . This is mostly due to the work his Recruiters have done with him .
They spend time weekly with their " Pooles' " , as they are known before they ship off to Boot .​
Any question as to whether he makes it or not are easily satisfied by the fact he won't be back to his RO wearing his dress uniform . His AIT is going to be easy compared to his Boot , so it's a given that he'll pass that .​

I know the next question is will he be going into harms way ? He most certainly will - at some point .
The thing is we can't wait for that to happen , we have to get it to him before then .​
Is there a chance that 1 or 2 might not see it's bearer though harm's way ? Certainly .​

But it's in the time YOU spend with the Recruiters and the Pooles' , that should help YOU make a good decision .​

I know that everyone who may want to be in this , can't spend that kind of time . I understand that . So , if the members who want to make knives for this project , will entrust those that will go out and meet these young men , that would be a way to approach this .​

I live a city of about 50,000 , and there are 20-30 young men just here , all leaving before 8 months . And every week there'll be more ..​
I'm just looking for the best way to get it done - names and faces to knives - it seems to have potential .. what do you think ?​

God Bless that young man, I wish him the best!

Do we have a design in mind for the build, or are we doing a poll to determine that?

As far as Donations go , this is what we have :​
Steel - Aldo - The NJ Steel Baron - up to 100 blades​
Micarta - Tracy - USA Knifemaker Suppy - 100 sets of scales​
SS Corby's - Travis - Precision Plus - 100 sets​
These are some incedible Donations ..​

That leaves Heat treat​
As far as the HT , I spoke to Brad from Peter's HT at BLADE . He assured me future builds would be no problem .
Thanks , Bill​

Last edited:
As far as the design , why don't we submit designs like last time . and vote on it . Only criteria is blade length of 4" or less for Regulations on personal equipment .

How about some other ideas to get knives to our guys with a Hometown style . Anything ? Bill​

As far as the design , why don't we submit designs like last time . and vote on it . Only criteria is blade length of 4" or less for Regulations on personal equipment .

How about some other ideas to get knives to our guys with a Hometown style . Anything ? Bill​

Good idea on the design voting.

If you want something done right - go to the Marines. I'm all over this, Bill. If any of you guys can do everything but the sheath just let me know. I will be happy to make sheaths and supply the Kydex/Concealex and hardware at no charge. Let's do this thing!!!!!

I missed the last one, I would be honored to be a part of this one.

Hey Denny, how about a "Kentucky Collaboration"? Ill gladly make the knife if you would make the sheath.

A "Kentucky Collaboration" it is Sean!!! I've been looking forward to meeting you since you joined - let's do this thang! PM's sent.

A "Kentucky Collaboration" it is Sean!!! I've been looking forward to meeting you since you joined - let's do this thang! PM's sent.

Replied PM.

Im looking forward to this Denny. Ill have to come by your place to work out some ideas and....ahem maybe get in on the fall striper bite in the tailwaters :)

Sounds Like a well thought out plan Bill thanks for you effort, Looking forward to being involved this time.

Jim

Back