Home made deer antler knife?

zeek1844

Hello all,

I have never made a knife personally. I have used and handled some home made knives in the past, but now I'd like one for my own. I'm looking for a way to make a knife out of a whole, full length deer antler which includes the base off the deer head all the way to the point. It was an awkward looking rack, normal 4 point on one side and a perfect straight single point on the other with a slight curve in the tip. If I remember right, its about 11 inches in length. Here is what I've got, View attachment Hotmail (3).zip.......ANY IDEAS??

Welcome to knife Dogs and cheers to making your first knife.

I agree Willian Scagel is a great place to start and look at any of the knives illustrated annuals you can get your hands on for ideas. These can be found sometimes at your local Library.

You can go through tang or full depending on your wishes?

Stick around and ask for some help because we are a few dedicated makers here that can walk you through it.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Here is something close to what you might be looking for. I made it for my dad for Christmas. Mine is out of an elk antler. But the shape is similar to your horn. image.jpg

Back