hollow grinding fixture

Rey

Does anyone know of someone selling a used hollow grinding fixture sold by jantz supply?

I can't blame you for trying to find a used one! $$

Have you checked out Fred Rowe's Bubble Jig? Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but will greatly improve freehand.

Hello,
Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but...... I owned one of those years ago, spent most of my time adjusting the darn thing and when I did get a hollow grind, it wasn't that pretty. It is just my opinion, but I would learn to free hand them and save your money for sharp abrasives.
I sold mine years ago, It was a happy day. Rey, if your ever up this way stop by and I will show you how to freehand a hollow grind, I have done them for over twenty years. Maybe next vacation?
Sincerely,
Clint

Last edited:
I have one of Fred's jigs. Its a pretty cool device because you are free-handing your blade. it really helps to keep you angles correct. I am still a newbie though.

Fred's jigs are nice. It's very simple in design, and that's the beauty of it. Really great because it allows more use of vision. Really improves things for someone with sshhaakkyy hands like myself.

But like I mentioned, it may not be the answer Rey is looking for, since he's looking for more control with hollow grinds.

I suppose the best thing is put the time (and metal!) into developing a good freehand technique like Clint mentioned.

For a while now I've been thinking of taking the same concepts used on my Tormek sharpening system and carrying that over to a modified tool rest on the belt grinder. I'm very familiar with that system; I can set it up very quickly.
Figured if the concept kept consistent angle on the edge, maybe it could be used for the grind, too.
Still doin' plenty of head scratching and wadded-up sheets of paper thrown across the room, but I'll eventually get it figured out. It can't be that difficult, but you know how things are when you stop thinkin' about them for a while and pick back up again.
Or maybe I'm spinning my wheels and it's already a "been there, done that", and people go back to freehand for a reason.

I'm with Clint. My son came up with one of those hollow grinding fixtures a good while back, he bought it off somebody that didn't like it. My son sold it to somebody else. You do spend most of your time adjusting it. My son started free hand grinding and makes a lot better knife now. I wasn't impressed with the hollow grinds that it did. I don't know your circumstances, but I'd suggest learning to grind free hand.

I've never used a jig but I do have a half inch round post that butts up near the face of my knife sander. This allows me to orient the blade and since it's round, I can raise and lower the handle for my curves. I've tried free handing and on specialty grinds I can do it. But this post really helps and it is a little safer (I had my grand daughter in the shop working on her knife).

Back