Hi

N.N

I'm still a little new to all of this. I started making knives because I wanted something nice and didn't want to take out a loan to get it. So I in turn have kept that philosophy in making and selling my knives. Considering the time, I'm not really making any money off them, I just like doing it. Good working blades.

I've been told several times now that I should join some of the knife discussions online and get involved with the community, so here I am.

Where should I go next?

welcome to KD.
Read back through as many threads as you can to pick up a lot of hard earned knowledge much quicker than you could any other way.
Post some pictures of your work when you get a chance.

Have fun
t

N.N

Welcome to KD! Most folks here are very helpful. If you don't find your answer just ask. As you get a few knives under your belt you'll be answering questions too. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.. Get some 1084 steel to work on. It's a good and low cost knife steel. USA Knifemaker Supply sells it. A lot better to work on than old files. Let me know if I can help.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. I actually did order a piece of 1084 from USA Knifemaker a few weeks ago. I've 2 more files in the works right now and then I'm going to start on that 1084. Finding time has been my biggest hindrance the past month. I'll certainly post of my progress.

it should take about 5 hours to make a knife. but that may be spread over several months. lol. welcome sounds like your off to a good start. we are all knifeaholic here. doctors are working around the clock to find a cure but every time they make a break through. we find them!

Hey thanks Gary. I must just go a little slow, I'll usually take about 5 hours on the steel and then another 3 to 4 on the handle. But I do a lot of the work by hand as well (initial cutout of steel, and most of the handle). But I'm getting faster the more I do. I have a 1x30 grinder, drill, file set, hacksaw and sandpaper...the later of which gets the most use, lol.

The 3 knives I've posted in the custom full tang section are only the latest I've done. I've sold about 15 before that, some smaller neck knives and a mostly started with those s 440c blanks. Working with the steel has been the biggest learning curve as of late, but I'm enjoying it much more and have gotten surprisingly good results thus far.

And I agree, this is addicting.

Back