Hi from Northern Texas

colbysmt

Hi all. I have been addicted to this forum for a couple weeks, looking at all of the awesome knives y'all have been making and reading so much useful information. I am just getting started making knives. My father in law has made a few rustic knives, in a coal forge, with antler handles (not really my style, but very cool). I have a few knives in the works, but none "finished". I'm just experimenting right now to decide what type of knife I prefer to make and what techniques to use. I am in the process of building a propane forge and shopping for a belt grinder. I have a 4 x 106 wet belt sander, but haven't had much luck with it yet. Planning to sell it and get a 2 x 72 or rob parts off it to build one better suited for knifemaking. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the awesome website, and I'm amazed how friendly and supportive y'all are with eachother. I can't wait to post a few pictures of finished knives!

Colby Smith

Attachments

• IMG_0055[1].jpg
    IMG_0055[1].jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0083[1].jpg
    IMG_0083[1].jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0080[1].jpg
    IMG_0080[1].jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0078[1].jpg
    IMG_0078[1].jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0067[1].jpg
    IMG_0067[1].jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 16
Well welcome to the pound. Forging to me is the way to go. Check out the American Bladesmith's Society YouTube channel for some great info after you finish looking at all the info in the WIP section here.

I have been to Hereford, TX a few times. Good folks up there. I had a classmate at Texas Tech that was from there. His grandfather and another resident of Hereford were instrumental in getting pheasants established in North Texas. After going to South Dakota on a hunting trip they came home and with the help of Texas Parks and Wildlife they arranged for the capture and release of wild birds from South Dakota to the Hereford area. He did a report on it (we were both Wildlife Management Majors) and brought in some of the old newspaper articles. It was really interesting.

Hi all. I have been addicted to this forum for a couple weeks, looking at all of the awesome knives y'all have been making and reading so much useful information. I am just getting started making knives. My father in law has made a few rustic knives, in a coal forge, with antler handles (not really my style, but very cool). I have a few knives in the works, but none "finished". I'm just experimenting right now to decide what type of knife I prefer to make and what techniques to use. I am in the process of building a propane forge and shopping for a belt grinder. I have a 4 x 106 wet belt sander, but haven't had much luck with it yet. Planning to sell it and get a 2 x 72 or rob parts off it to build one better suited for knifemaking. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the awesome website, and I'm amazed how friendly and supportive y'all are with eachother. I can't wait to post a few pictures of finished knives!

Colby Smith

Colby,
Welcome to the pack! Can you post a pic of this 4 x 104 grinder? If you can get the right belts it should be useful for many knife making jobs? A wet machine like that could be very useful.

I found belts for it. I have several 60 and 120 grit belts. It works great for flattening large areas, just not as versatile as a 2 x 72 looks. This isn't a pic of my machine, just one I found online of the same machine. I picked it up at an auction for 100$. figured the motor and wheels alone were worth way more than that.

Attachments

• 1000x1000.jpg
    1000x1000.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Also, did first fire of the forge. Holy Jeez! that's hotter than the coal!

Attachments

• IMG_0085[1].jpg
    IMG_0085[1].jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 8
I personally would keep that machine you have in one piece. That could work well for many tasks. Make knives with it and sell them so you can afford a 2 x 72

That is my 2 cents.

'

Back