Hey Yall from Georgia

I am retired and have 4 kids still home and a dog. I just start in the blacksmith thing. I am interested in making knifes. I don't have a clue. I have just acquired an anvil and I am building a forge. I work on small engines and do wood working.

Where are you in Georgia. There are several blacksmithing and knife making groups there. Maybe we can help you link up with one or some.

Welcome to KnifeDogs.

Welcome! Time to start reading the WIP and tutorials threads. If you can find a local maker, see if he can give you a little help. Most will. There's an ABS hammer-in coming up in March in Haywood, NC. Good place to learn a bit at.

And then there is the Batson's Blade Symposium www.alaforge.org at Tannehill State Park about 30 miles south of Birmingham, then the third weekend in May is the SBA blacksmith conference in Madison Georgia www.sbaconference.org, then the first weekend in September after Labor Day, then Quad State at Troy, Ohio the 4th weekend in September. Bowie's Hammer-in in Knoxville is the second weekend in October. Alex Bealer Blacksmith Association of Georgia www.alexbealer.org meets the 3rd weekend in each month. Alex Bealer mainly is around the Atlanta area and Ocmulgee Blacksmiths are in middle and south Georgia and meet on the first weekend of each month.

There should be something there to get you started.

Thanks to all for the information . I know there is a lot to learn so if I say something that sounds stupid forgive my ignorance. I have acquire two anvils one is a Hay budden which is in perfect shape a 105 pounds and an attwood 145 lbs which needs lots of repair. I have a blacksmith hammer its a Eswing maybe not the best knowledge needed in that area and a couple of pair of tongs also more knowledge needed . I have the sheet metal for the forge but have not found a big brake drum or some to pot the forge. My family are coal miners so I should be able to get some coal. Thanks again to all.

Back