Hey there fellas (and ladies as well) Im Nick and Im from Beantown.Nice to meet cha!

I just typed a big message and it somehow got lost. Ill keep it short and sweet, I hardened this blade at home wrapped in foil and put in a toaster oven then quenched it in oil. It feels kinda brittle, ill attach a photo and if anyone feels like droppin some knife knowledge on me about it. Thanks and evvyone have a Great Holiday Season and try to keep from passin out before 12 on new years:lol:

good evening Nick. welcome to the forum.

we need more info. what type of steel are you using? when you say you used a toaster over to harden your blade, do you realy mean a toaster? If so, you are no where near Hard for any steels that I know of. you usually use the toaster oven to temper your blade... taken some hardness out.

when you first harden your blade, take a file and hit a corner of the blade. the file should skate across the steel not cutting in. this will tell you your probably in the R63+ if your using a good file. you then will temper your blade back to a point for its intended purpose, and that will vary widely from maker to maker.

give us more infor and maybe a picture, there is always someone around that can help.

Erik

thanx erik, I took afew photos that ill post tomorrow. Ive just gotten access to a space to build a workshop and ive been reading so much knifemaking info i cant even see the screen.lol Im gonnna try to remember what the steel was. it was from 2-3 years ago. Maybe he did want me to anneal it i dont remember. anyways thanks for the welcome have a good Night and ill talk to ya soon.

hey I attatched some pics for anyone that wants to help. When I heat treated it the knifesmith that was "teaching me" basically told me to beat it and gave me this which he said needed to be heat treated. I dont know what kinda steel it os but he useda make alot of damascus. I infact made a billet at his shop that disappeared but anyway, Id appreciate any help. thanks. Oh and i used a magnifier to get as close as possible to the surface. I sanded down the tang a little and well u can see the result.100_0455.jpg100_0469.jpg100_0324.jpg100_0477.jpg100_0335.jpg100_0348.jpg100_0349.jpg100_0378.jpg

Back