Here is another one I just finished

wmhammond

Fist full of Skinner

This is another short fat little knife that may be more useful than my last one, "The Thread Cutter" It is about the same size as the last one but I added a safer and better designed place for the index finger (I'm sure that little thing has a name but I don't know what it is). It is really fat and fills your palm. Also the handle extends farther out onto the blade to allow a spot for your thumb. It'll be a while before I can test it on a real animal but I hope it sells before then. Let someone else field test it and give me the feedback.

The specs are:
Blade material: W-2
Blade Finish: High polish
OAL: 6 3/4”
Blade Length: 3”
Blade Width at Plunge Line: 1 1/8”
Blade thickness at Plunge Line: .190"
Handle Length: 3 1/2"”
Handle Material: Hawaiian Koa
Two pins: 5/16'” Stainless Steel
Handle Finish: Danish Oil and Paste wax
Time of fabrication: 8 Hours

Tell me what you think - I can take it.

IMG_1344.jpgIMG_1345.jpgIMG_1346.jpgIMG_1347.jpgIMG_1348.jpg

Here is the last two side-by-side

IMG_1349.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Wallace

Nice little skinners WM. funny thing about small skinners like those, some people don't realize they'll skin out any critter in North America.

Last edited:
Hey There Wallace,
Those look great. I really like your makers mark. Can't tell if it's an acid etch or not.
A couple of things I'd like to see in those knives. Of course, it's just my humble opinion.
It seems like a knife with that level of finish should have a pop of color. Maybe a liner? I think a red would look great.
if it were me, I'd maybe add a small false top edge or swedge, to get a nice grind line as well as thin up the tip for caping.
just trying to float ideas... They look great!

cheers,

I like that design a lot. I don't think you should put a false-edge or clip on it. That is just my personal preference. If the user is going to put his or her finger on the spine of the blade to guide some of the cuts, then you want to leave the spine flat. Again, just my preference.

looks like a good user. Nice wood, too.

kc

Back