Help!? on design of an American Tanto

Bill Hubbell

KNIFE MAKER
I am just starting on a American Tanto knife. I have never been drawn to or interested in the Tanto design, so don't have much to draw from. I'm getting the feel of the thing, but would like some opinions on this design, or just pointers in general for a Tanto.
The owner will likely be a little rough on it, but in all reality it will probably never be used for hand-to-hand combat against zombies or any other foe. And, Idoubt that he will ever really need to pierce a car hood or even open MREs with it, but... Regardless of practicality, this is the type of knife the new owner likes. hence the choice of style. And, I'm actually starting to appreciate the style to some degree.

The two knife profiles pictured are pretty much identical, except for the cant of the handle (Attitude?). I drew one first, but the handle seemed to angle upwards too much, so I dropped the angle. That one seems to be more ergonomic, but looked odd for some reason. Maybe I've just bee looking too long at a design I'm not very familiar with. And, I realize a certain amount of a concept just comes down to personal opinion.
And, what about the lanyard tab/glass breaker? Wondering if I should I can that and add a lanyard tube, or keep it as a component of the style of the knife?
I would really appreciate any input you guys could give.
I think my wife is glad I found this forum. Twin Tantos Resized.jpgHandle Cant Resized.jpgIt takes some pressure off of her. I don't have anyone to talk knives with. So, she gets an earful whether she's interested or not (I have to give her credit though, she tries her best to sound interested).
But. all kidding aside, I really appreciate being able to tap into the massive amount of experience and knife wisdom available here.
Thanks again,
Bill

Ditto on the wife thing!! Mine makes strange faces when I say "what do you think of this?"
I'm a total rookie to knife making but I did just made my first Tanto. Handle angle to me is a two fold question. Comfort and is it functional to the use of the knife. I tend to like the feel and functionality of a handle that lowers towards the rear. So your revised design IMO would be better.
Another thought would be let the customer decide. Or even cut them both out of some plywood, rough shape and see which has a better feel. Hope this helps.1-15-15 041.jpg1-15-15 045.jpg

Thanks for the input, Bryce. This is going to be a surprise gift, so I don't have the option of asking the owner. Maybe I will make a wood model and try that out.
I really like the look of your Tanto- especially the blade. I think it's the first I've seen of a Tanto from a file. I have done one knife from a file and am on number two. I just recently saw some where the file name is positioned on the ricasso- I like that look, too. I assume that's what I'm seeing on yours?
The grinding on a Tanto looks like it will be challenging, especially with my limited grinding experience. And, I plan to grind both sides. So I'm excited to get started, and yet apprehensive at the same time. But, just like life in general, -it's the challenging times that we grow through the most, right?

It's the straight grind-lines that concern me the most. You can change the radius of a curve a little, even accidentally, and still have a nice end result. But, a straight line either is or isn't, right? I built a little grinding jig (after watching a video here on Knife-dogs). I'm hoping to try it out today on a smaller 'test knife' today. Did you use a jig with your Tanto?

And, maybe it's time to just pick a plan and jump in.
Thx again,
Bill

I ground my first three with hand files, I then got a craftsman 2x42 and ground a couple with the use of a jig. Since then It's all been freehand. I'm on about 35-40 knives now(kinda lost count). I've had my KMG since October, still free handing. I have recently started to grind things I've been uncomfortable doing in the past. My advice: Ditch the jig, take your time, don't take too big a bite when pushing the grind line up. Even up the grind lines and straighten them out before pushing up to the next point. I found the straight edge of my tanto pretty easy to grind. The tip was a pain in the butt. here are the two I just finished. The dagger was a challenge to meet up the bevels in the middle.

1-21-2015 028.jpg015.jpg1-15-15 010.jpg028.jpg
All three made from USA Nicholsons. The dagger and tanto are the newest. The other was my first attempt at a hollow grind.

Nice work, Bryce- that Dagger is really sweet!
My first knife was a 'file-knife'. I did leave just enough remnants of the file teeth to add character, but I wish I would have positioned the file name on the ricasso like that-oh well I have a large file softened up just waiting on the shelf. Looks like you have to be pretty strategic about the position.

I've already started grinding on that tanto. I've been using a jig so far (I just found your last post today).
I have the primary grind on the straight edge done to 40 grit, with maybe about .030 of edge between grinds.
I discovered I should have flattened or trued up the blade sides before starting the bevels. I guess I thought new steel would be flat (learned one more thing). But that can still be done, I guess.
I also learned to not run the rest/table too close to the belt, as grindings pile up on it and interfere with a fluid movement of the jig across the table. Bet you're thinking- "one more reason to pitch the jig", right?
I'm thinking I'll go with a lesser angle grind along the main edge, then grind the canted tip edge. That might be a good time for me to switch to free-handing, and the same for the forward top edge.
Thx for the input,
BillTanto 1.jpgTanto 2.jpg

Looking good Bill! That's a hefty blade, I like it.
Nice looking jig too. Make sure ya post the end result. I dig seeing other peoples process and completed projects!

Back