Help Needed.

A belt grinder for almost free? Not very likely. You can use things like files to shape a blade and sand paper to finish the steel. You can make a forge body with two ceramic insulation bricks or a linear foot of ceramic insulation fiber and a five pound bag of refractory cement and a propane torch. Go to www.elliscustomknifeworks.com and take a look a the refractory supplies there. You can also build a charcoal forge in a bucket with a lining made of kitty litter and horticultural pearlite. A large canning pot filled with vegetable oil can sever as a quenching tank and quenchant. With simple steels you can even use water or brine if you feel bold. You will want to keep the blades a little on the small side if you use something like a tin can or bucket forge. You could ask you Mom to perdy-perdy please to let you use her oven to temper in or you could look for a second hand toaster over or just temper with a gas torch.

Doug Lester

My first grinder was completly homemade. Skateboard wheel at the top, and an old stretcher wheel for the contact wheel. A double arbor and angle iron. And I ground at least 100 blades with it! So you can make anything you put your mind to. Never think you have to have the latest newest coolest widjit to make a great knife!

Ok, Is there a way i can make a real belt grinder for almost free?

Not free but almost. While I was researching building a grinder I came across plenty of people and designs that used plywood for wheels (turned on a lathe), skateboard wheels or old 2 inch wide caster wheels, recycled or junk motors (most open drip proof and prone to early wear from dust) but some guys claimed they will run forever, some recycled treadmill motors with speed controllers, etc...

SO not free but close. However, you may be sacrificing some quality for cost effectiveness. After reading everything I could find I found it was going to be easier to just buy the right stuff the first time and spend a little $ up front for something I can use reliably for years.

Pugsrok, if you don't have any books on knife making, I strongly suggest that you get one or two. Probably the best for beginners is "The $50 Knife Shop" and "The Wonder of Knife Making" both by Wayne Goddard and both available through multiple sellers. The reason that I wonder how much reading you have been doing is that some of the questions that you are asking are pretty basic. These books will answere a lot of these questions that you are asking and give some ideas that you haven't even thought of yet. It's a whole lot easier to help someone who has some idea of what they don't know. These boards are great but they don't substitute for book learnin'.

Doug Lester

I have only made knives out of files, with a benchgrinder, no heat treat, parachord handles. that is it. How much is that book?

Hey Pug.

You are starting the right way,right up from the bottom you are getting some great advice here.

Remember to take in consideration and cover what application the knives you want to make and how they will be used.

These guys know a lot more about knife making than I do but I'd just like to add.

I've been professionally carving for over 20 years and some of the knives I use to this very day I made over 10 years ago .

all I used was O1 tool steel , a blow torch , a belt sander like you are using , a grinder, and a can of vegetable oil. It can be done.

You can look up those books on Amazon. If you have to decide between the two I would get "The $50 Knife Shop" first. It deals with both forging and stock removal. Tracey may have it at USA Knifemakers.

Doug Lester

Tell ya what pug,I have both Wayne Goddard's books,''$50 Knifeshop'' and
''The Wonder of Knifemaking''.
If you agree to read it and then send it back,I will gladly send them to you.I will send you the''$50 Knifeshop'' first,read it,send it back and if you want I will send you the other to read and send back.
If you are interested PM me your address.

God bless,Keith

Back