Help - Etching Machine - Build or buy???

Jason Wernli

Hello Men, I am getting ready to either buy or build an etching machine.
I have looked at plans on Ernies site: http://erniesknives.com/ and this seems easy enough and will definitely save some money.
But I am in for the long haul with this tool. So, if I am better off spending the money on a Personalizer or something else, I would really love to know what you think is best!

Thanks a bunch,
- J

Like about everything, I try to build it first. Are you good with electrical stuff? I found an old control box at work that already had some little switches and a power cord and fuse holder. I took the guts out and bought a transformer and bridge at radio shack. Everything else I scrounged from my junk box. Don't remember for sure, but I think I've only got about $20 invested in mine and it works just fine. If you've got the money, it's sure easy just to buy one, but I just like building stuff I guess.

I'm no help on the store bought ones but I built my own with Ernie's and Chris Crawfords plans and I am happy with it. It was rewarding and I learned a few things too.

I built my own (several times), and worked and worked and worked.....and could never get what I considered a "good" mark. I finally broke down and purchased a Personalizer Plus....and along with the trick of "spritzing" with windex before etching, have had FAR more success then I ever had with any of the homemade ones.

That being said, I've not tried Ernie's plans....although I am very fond of the stencils he makes.

Personalizer Plus and a spritz of windex under. Then after to stop the process and forget the Q-Tips. I get the best with the wand that comes with the machine and Sham Wow cloth over it with their solution that also comes with it and their stencils.DSCN1428.jpg

I can't find my best pic, there is a speck of dirt a a smear on the lens, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
"IF" you're at all handy with electrical/electronics - then make the darn thing. Nothing to them. The ONLY thing an etcher does is supply voltage with a 2 or 3 amp source. Either an adjustable voltage supply, or a fixed around 18 to 22 VDC, with a DPDT switch to switch in the AC voltage for putting the black in. I've built a couple of them that work good for no cost - just pulled parts from junk box. BUT - I've been tinkering with electronics since my first connecting a high voltage (only 500 VAC or so)transformer from an old B&W TV when I was 12 yrs old (55 yrs ago).... blew the fuse in house, but sure made a nice flash {g}

Ken H>

Thanks guys! I think I will tackle building one. I am pretty handy and this seems well within my skill set.

Laurence, I still want to get out to see you since I am only about 40 miles from you... Maybe you can show me some tricks!

Also, who makes the best stencils? I am going to order them soon.
- J

Stencils = Ernie
Home built etcher built from plans. I bought all the stuff at R.S. for around $100. I made my own hand piece from a chunk of brass and some left over hardwood with a piece of all thread holding it all together.

I echo Slatroni above, the etcher is easy to build , Ernie's stencils are the best and its a pleasure to work with Ernie.

I always enjoy reading these threads discussing etching machines and methods, home built vs purchased. As this is what I need to get next.

I enjoy making just about everything I can, including tools. However in this instance I've been on the fence and leaning towards buying a Personalizer, or the Plus version. Still can't decide which though. I'm going with the stencils from Ernie. Hopefully soon I will be able to not only read these etching threads but contribute as well.

John

I love working with Ernie. He did an AMAZING job with detail on one of my marks. I also use a homemade machine....but I don't get the pro look from the personalizer. It looks good...but not like the personalizer does. Also....the personalizer uses A/C as well...which darkens your mark. I don't know if that can be done with DC alone. I have been told to use the Gun Blue Marker if I want my logo dark....but how in the world that is supposed to work I have no idea. The tip of the marker is a good percentage of the size of a mark....so.....? The only thing I can figure is etch the logo, use the Blue pen all over the logo (inside the lines and outside the lines), and then come back and sand/polish the blueing off of the blade portion...leaving it in the logo.

Stuart, If you build a unit like the one in Ernie's plans, it has a Full wave rectifier that changes the polarity and can then darken the etch.
- J

Stuart, you've got the right idea - do a nice deep etch with DC, then clean everything up, take magic marker, etc to fill in etch, then sand finish using a flat metal to back up 1,000 grit sandpaper will leave a NICE dark etch mark. Got to be a deep etch for it to work good.

The full wave rectifier changes the AC to DC, then a DPDT switch BEFORE the rectifier switches the AC voltage direct to leads for making it dark. Boss has a GREAT video on etching and explains it MUCH better than I can in words.

Ken H>

I just went down this road myself. I bought the Personalizer (the old one, not the PLUS) and it works absolutely perfect and is significantly less expensive than the PLUS. The PLUS allows you to control your output current with a knob. I'm sure there is value in this, but for a process whereby you spend most of your time counting to yourself anyway, I couldn't justify the higher cost. I'll just adjust my count.

I can't say enough good things about dealing with Ernie. He is fantastic.

Back