Hello from me to you

jackknifeh

I'm here because I've gotten interested in knives in the past few years and for the last year or so been wanting to get into making knife handles for fixed blades and folders. I've made 5-10 sets of scales for a few folders I own and honestly I've been kind of proud of a couple of sets. Well, proud enough to carry the knife anyway. Wouldn't win any prizes. :2: The tools I have are mainly Dremel related. I have a lot of Dremel stuff and other than that I have sandpaper. Oh yeah, I have a coping saw. New blades too. You see? I need help. I'm on a limited budget for this hobby which really stinks.

I think a good place to go from here is a book. I'm a firm believer in getting knowledge from people who have already learned from their mistakes. I want to learn from their mistakes instead of making the same ones all over again. Since I'm just saying hi here I'll ask for book/training suggestions in a "real" thread.

Thanks for reading if you got this far,
Jack

Jack,
Welcome to the pack here at KD's I would suggest Bob Loveless's books for a lot of basics concerning handles and knife making too.

How to makes knives. and, Knife making with Bob Loveless are two titles I would start with. I use almost exclusively Bob Loveless Handle bolts and nuts on my knives because I feel they are the strongest and easiest to use on my culinary knives. I use the all stainless but you can get a two tone effect by mixing brass & stainless nuts & Bolts.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back