Hello form Central Texas

Hello, I've been lurking and asking a few questions here fora while and thought I should introduce myself. I have slowly been converting my2 car garage into a work space. I ran a 100amp panel to the garage with severalnew drops and 220. I also added a bunch of lights and been buying someequipment along the way. I have a TW90 grinder, Drill press, porta-band with aSwag table, and several other tools. I just need the knowhow now. Havingtrouble getting my grinds straight and I think I just need to keep grinding tofigure it out. I am excited to startspending some time in the "Shop" and grinding some knives. I will bedoing stock removal fixed blades. I am most interested in something I will useat this time. most will be hunter type knives. I have made a few knives so far and it gives me great satisfaction toskin a deer or hog with one of my knives. This cooler weather makes me want to get out in the shop as it can getwarm here. Working from home allows meto sneak out from time to time and get some shop time. I'm located in SW Austin and looking to meet any other local knife makers. I still want to get an HT Oven and a Disk sander to get my handle material flat. I have been using 1095 and plan on switching to something like 1080 for now. I want to use some stainless at some point as well. So many options and so little time. I have been to several of the shows in Austin and Dallas and met a few knife guys. everyone is always very nice and open to my questions.
Look forward to being around more.
Scott

Welcome from Abilene. There are a few makers in your area... DiverTexas from Dripping Springs comes to mind. I think his real name is Russel Trimble.

Hello from northeastern Indiana....
Getting smooth even grinds takes a little practice. Make sure your grinder is tracking true..if not it will cause some jerking on your work piece. Jerking = not good. firm grasp, even pressure, and methodical passes on the grinder. You will feel it when it is right and you will know without looking (but you will and should look anyway).
Mistakes are a good way to learn the craft, which is a good thing cause I make lots of them.

Welcome from South Florida. Check out the closest ABS Hammer-In. You will find some nice folks there and the info they share is worth the time spent.

Hello Scott,
welcome to Knifedogs.
I hope to get to Austin next year to spend a few days looking around.
t

welcome to the pack...greatest place in the world to find answers...they tell me answers to questions I haven't even thought of yet

Back