Hello everyone!

edbriver

Just joined up to check out what's going on over here. I've lurked around for a while, but I just bought a kiln and figured it may be a good idea to join the forum as well, for the community and maybe get help if I need it.

I've been on BCUSA and BladeForums for a bit, for knives and info, but it's always good to have even more sources of knowledge.

So, I'm just getting started on my knife-making journey, and I'm looking forward to my future as a maker, and I'm looking forward to the many discussions that I'm sure will follow.

Welcome. I haven't been in this forum for long and don't forge myself (too old can't handle the heat/hard work any more) and have been customizing handles on others blades for awhile now to get just what I want in a knife.
By the looks of your pics. you have the handle part pretty much in hand (pardon the pun). I especially like the 1st and 3rd handles because they would probably feel really good in my hand.
The people here are kind spirited and will help you to become a better knife maker in my opinion. I've learned quite a bit just by looking at the posted pictures of their knives and reading..... A good lot to be associated with (my opinion again).
Luck to you with your new forge..................................

Last edited:
Heat treat oven, steel, and oil arrived today. Should have everything else I need. Let's see if I can get some work done this weekend. Might be hard with Mother's Day stuff going on.

No blades this weekend, the company forgot to ship a blade fixture with the oven and then as I was setting things up I realized I forgot to order the extension cord that was in my cart… both should take a few days. Guess I’ll just do some more handles for now.

Welcome, @edbriver
Nice handle work!
Thank you!
Patience! Looking forward to seeing your work.
Thanks! It's hard to be patient. I'm normally a very laid-back person, but i've never been so excited to get into something. Everybody has there "thing" and I may have just found mine!

Edit: forgot too add, I've got a bunch of rough blanks cut out and I've started grinding. Probably be firing up the oven in the next couple days.

Thanks! I'm a stacked birch/leather person myself. That's probably what I'll do most of my stick tang knives in. Birch bark is not that easy to come by, I still need to find a reliable source, but I dabble in leatherwork so leather is easy.
yeah I’m working on a stacked birch handle right now, I ended up buying a couple hundred dollars worth of bark, just to get enough decent material. It’s awesome to work with, and might be the prettiest handle, IMO

Back