Heat Treatment Help

Lee B

Hi,

I have been making knives using O1 tool steel because heat treating is fairly simple. I would like to transition to D2 and am looking for a local (Washington/Oregon) knife maker who has an oven and a willingness to heat treat a small batch (4-6) of blades for me. If you're interested please send me a PM.

Thanks,
Lee

Lee, I know that you said that your are looking for someone in the Washington state or Oregon area but D2 is air quenching. It shouldn't be all that expensive to send them out to professional heat treaters just about anywhere in the states if they can fit in a bulk rate shipping box. I would much rather have my blades treated by a professional who is familiar with treating the steel as knife blades than someone who is willing to give it a try. Just something to think about. Sometimes cutting corners can get to be very expensive.

Doug

Last edited:
Lee,
for over 15 years I have sent all of my stainless and semi-stainless blades to Paul Bos Heat Treat at BUCK knives. These people have helped write a lot of the technical data sheets for many of the stainless knife steel we use today.

Another gentleman also named Paul now runs it with Mr. Bos still consulting.
The can take care of your D2 to what ever RC you wish along with a Cryo treatment. http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=bio.paulBos

if you just have a blade or two? I have a batch of about 30 blades almost ready to ship and you are welcome to batch them with mine. PM me if you like?
It ends up at around 7-$13.00 a blade.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence,

Thank you for the kind offer. I don't have anything ready for heat treatment yet I was just trying to plan ahead. The prices I have looked at, Paul Bos included, seem quite reasonable...if you are sending a decent sized batch. Unfortunately, at this stage of my knife making, I am a little more "hand to mouth".

Thanks,
Lee

Back