heat treating 52100

I guess I'll see if Admiral still carries 9260 and use the 52100 I have for small knives. If Admiral doesn't carry any 9260 I may have to see if I can get the equivalent from England. I can find all sorts of suppliers for 9260 here but they want orders of 5 metric tons or higher. I don't think I can store that in my garage. Thanks for the opinion, that's all we can ask for. It's a step up from a scientific wild ass guess.

Doug

Doug , I think admiral still has some . I bought some 9260 1"x 1/4" about a month ago . I did have to buy about 200 $ worth . How big a piece do you need ?
I have a 2 foot piece in the size I mentioned . Bubba

Thanks, Bubb-san. I was just concerned about the 9260 disappearing from their online catalog where they used to list it with the 5160. I should be able to swing $200 for a shipment, just not this month. I'll have to see what's left over on the 31st. Until then I have enough 1084 to keep me busy for a while.

Doug

No problemo, I love that stuff . It makes some very nice swords . I was surprised how tough it is. I think its pretty much like 5160 except the addition of 2% silicon and it doesnt have any chromium? Besides it takes a pretty good hamon if you are into that. It is also very springy when properly HT'd. ...... Bubba

couple pics....

Attachments

• Picture18931.jpg
    Picture18931.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 25
  • 9260 tactical wakizashi 008.jpg
    9260 tactical wakizashi 008.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 9260 wakizashi hamon 006.jpg
    9260 wakizashi hamon 006.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 27
The IT diagram book that I have lists it as have a very small amount of chromium, 0.07%. The stuff will also make a hamon, as you have illustrated, and it seems to hold an edge well.

Doug

Thats why I put the ? mark by that statement wasn't sure . I need to order some myself . I have 2 pieces left out of about 15 . Let us know
when you order if the criteria for ordering is the same (200$), steel has been creeping up lately ..... Bubba

Good read so far guys. Keep it up.

As for the Viking sword film, I haven't seen it yet, but totally understand how producers and filmmakers have a different set of standards and agendas than bladesmiths. I was in a production once and cringed when they called it "primitive knifemaking", especially when my only condition was that they wouldn't call it that. I recommended they call it "neo-tribal", or something less definitive. Oh well, once the release gets signed, it's out of your hands. I guess the publicity wasn't all good... or all bad. I totally get why some actors turn down big roles, just to avoid being type cast.

I think the big push right now is to make science look more dramatic, romantic and entertaining than the reality of actually doing science really is, … especially in big media productions. They are good at it! The science shows are very entertaining, but I wonder how many scientists and professionals that have been on them actually approve of the outcome... or aren't a bit embarrassed?

I’m not a big fan of working 52100 for knife blades, for all the reasons stated. I think it is good advice to stick with a couple simpler steels, one for slicing and one for chopping until you get the hang of them. 52100 has been over hyped in my opinion,... but not that it can't make a very good blade.

I think the best things about science are that, it’s a good way to reaffirm what you already believe,… and to sway public opinion. ;)

Last edited:
I did the cut test with the multiple quenched 52100 blade this weekend and it did cut quite a bit longer. I did a write up on it and the knife in the custom knife section. This was my first rope cut test so i cant say i did everything perfect but there was a for sure increase in edge holding in the triple quenched blade.

thanks
steve

Back