Heat Treat FAIL !!!! Help !!!

**Update**

I had cut 2 coupons and tried heat treating again, one I left just quenched the other I tempered.. the one I quenched showed lower numbers:what!: the tempered piece was higher at 48... still no go...

now in the mean time, (last week) I had someone else heat treat a blank and one of the knives I tried HT before.... both registered 58-59 range, repeatedly..

so now we confirmed the steels not the issue, and I'm assuming my kiln is off calibration... by how much?? IDK, but I HT'ed a couple more coupons one (quenched and one tempered), and also several of the blades from before, they're in the second cycle tempering now..

I also HT'd a sacrificial knife that was warped from previous attempt, I put it in the vise after HT and easily snapped the tip off, no harsh grain structure looks nice and clean..

I set my kiln to 1595-1600 as I believe it is 100*f off calibration, I won't know for sure until I buy some tempilstiks and calibrate it..

we'll see tomorrow if my numbers come up, but I'm almost positive I've nailed it after snapping the knife, well at least it feels like it.. :D

I'll post a pic of the broken knifes grain structure later...

Back