Heading to Kentucky to visit Denny ! !

You two Bubba's should plan a visit up here, this year and I'll put on a Hammer-In. So you two can meet all the Bubba's up here.:what!::3: I'll show you how us Portagees put on a New England style Clamboil. Yes my Ht'g Relish goes in it too.:s12138:

Don't miss out on a trip to IG's.,,,unless you don't want to drink coldbeer (in Tennessee that is one word) and eat good sea food (not see food). IG is a fantastic host.

Update on the visit: after laying around til 3 this afternoon, Bill finally got off his Big Apple Booty and we cranked the grinder up. Getting him going is like trying to get a cat to fetch. After a worthwhile time in the shop we went into town and had a true southern meal: Sushi, KungPao Chicken, Beef in Oyster sauce and Frog legs. Turns out the callous sophisticate from Gotham didn't know people ate Frog Legs. In an attempt to hide my embarrassment I had to look the other way when Bill asked for Ketchup to put on his Sesame Chicken. We (me) plan on getting an early start tomorrow and knocking out some military knives. I'll try to stop laughing about the ketchup and post some more tomorrow.

Thanks Denny,
Have you noticed an overpowering urge in Bill to walk around town touching mail boxes ? Lets see some pics of your progress...without including any tactical under gear.

Rudy

Town? Denny doesn't live in a town.
Mailboxes are on the side of the road. ..... 20 - 30 on a board. ...

I once won a frog leg eating contest at the fair. I consumed 4,387 deep fried bullfrog legs in 20 minutes, of course they were the front legs, but I did get to kiss the Queen of the fair and take a small greasy pig home with me. (Or was that the other way around ????)

Never mind.

Yeah, they all say Joly. Of course its prounounced Hatfield around these here parts.

Jeesh....
Around here it's pronounced M'coy.

Is Bill teaching you anything besides nappin ? Where's those action shots of you two working hard ? Inquiring minds want to know.

Rudy

Yes we would love to see some pics....
How bout it guys?
It does sound as though you both had a great time together

God bless,Keith

Hi Amigos! First off - no pics. Bill forgot his camera and I don't have one that works. We had a great time last week, both in the shop and in the beer (not together- safety first). Bill did some minor tune-up work on my grinder so it is running better than ever. He shared his 20+ years of knifemaking knowledge with me and I learned a lot. He made me a better grinder and a better screw-up fixer. We talked about design, razors and even watched the S. R. Johnson video "Making a Sub-Hilt Fighter", all 3 hours and 48 minutes of it. What a great video (I highly recommend it) and how nice it was to have someone sitting there to say, "this is why he did this or that and did you see what he did there". This was my first time to see someone grind a blade and Bill does it expertly. All in all it was a great 4 days and I just wish it could have been longer. I can't thank Bill enough for taking the time to come visit and share his knifemaking skills and his great stories. He has re-kindled my desire to make knives and has given me a better track to run on while doing so.

Pics or it never happened !

I've seen Bill's phone Denny....he could probably make feature length films with that thing.
:s12137:

Sounds like you both had some quality time. I can't wait to talk to Bill and get the real scoop.:biggrin: Warts and all.

Rudy

Have you got the real scoop yet, Rudy? The real scoop is that Bill couldn't stop texting or eating long enough to snap a few award-winning pictures. I thought he would so I had my Davy Crockett coon skin hat on and my fringed shop apron along with my respirator, safety glasses and tactical long johns. Nothing else. Now, go to bed with that image, Rudy!

Thanks for reporting your end of it Denny.no great shock there.
No, I haven't talked to Bill yet, I figured I'd let him catch his breath and rest after such a harduous experience. I'll try and bother him by this weekend. It's hard to get through to him with all that tweeting and texting he does. Although I hate to say this....I give him alot of credit for suffering the hardships of trudging to KY to hang out with you. I was tempted to call, but I didn't want to interupt any feeding or nap times.:biggrin:

Rudy

First ,I have to apologize for not bringing a camera. I did take a few of Denny grinding with my phone, and as soon as my computer is back on line I'll post them. Sorry Rudy, no tactical longjohns.
Next,let me tell you what a wonderful time I had in Kentucky.
Denny and his beautiful wife Brenda made me feel at home immediately. They both are great hosts and are the epitome of southern hospitality. ..
In between swapping stories we managed to get a little grinding in... Denny's got a great shop and all the tools needed to make some great knives.
Maybe next time I'll bring tbe camera …

Back