Have anvil will travel

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
My Mother-in-law asked me to do a forging demo at a local community hall. I have to admit I have never had an audience while I was forging and it was a little different but no one got hurt and I think even a few people enjoyed watching me pound away. At 32 degrees (90 for the imperial users) in the shade it was a little warm but not too bad. I slapped the tent up to give me a little shade and here in Nova Scotia it can rain at the drop of a hat. I'm not a good blacksmith but I did manage to forge out a blade and a bunch of hooks. The big thing I had to remember was not to set anything hot on the bed liner of the truck.

Hey Brad,that's pretty cool even though its hot up there,it only got up 75 degrees here today.
I like your set up,especially that truck.

very cool.
you are on your way to being a rendezvous or Renaissance player...
I'd bet you had an interested crowd most all day..

It is a mighty knife maker forge, it has a few drawbacks but it works. The chamber is pretty wide so I can get a odd shaped pieces in it.

I had some people who watched a bit, sort of like they were watching the gorilla exhibit at the zoo. Three kids (10-12) came up and grabbed a knife I had out on display, that got my heart going. No one got cut (All though I don't know why) that's all that matters. If I do something like this again I'm going to tape the edges of my knives at least that should give me enough time to react before someone hurts themselves.

Back